• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel economy numbers

921500Z71

Reaction score
Went down to the dunes this past weekend and got to see what kind of mileage i could get with a tow tune in. I couldnt compare to stock since this is the first time ive been down with the dmax. 24' bumper pull with 2 6k lb axles, and a sand rail, 2 quads, fire wood and coolers loaded on it. Dirt bike, tools, fuel, gear, and sleeping quarters were in the bed. 4 people in the cab. Im guessin somewhere in between 6k and 7k lbs since i dont know how much the trailer weighs empty because it isnt mine.

First fill up mainly highway but stopping 3 times for drunk people in 200 miles with slight headwind 14.27mpgs goin 68-74mph. Second fill up again mainly highway in between 68-74mph with some runs into town and a little spirited driving and again stopping 3 times for drunk people 14.30mpgs in 280 miles. Finally third fill up mainly highway and stopping twice in 200 miles with a slight tail wind running 70-77mph 15.20 mpgs. Throughout the trip the truck never struggled never downshifted tranny temp stayed between 140-160 depending on what time of day i was driving and motor sat at 205 once it would get warmed up. O and my truck turned over 30,000 miles on the way down:yikes:. Time to update the sig...

Im fairly happy with the numbers i just wish i didnt stop so much but its kind of hard when drunk people dont want to piss in bottles. On the last trip my buddy pulled the same load minus the dirt bike with a dakota and got 8mpgs. Just thought I would share it with you all.

And sorry no pics of the dunes :mad5:my camera was not too happy this weekend and i couldnt figure it out before we left.

Thats excellent mileage. There's some people who cant get that without a trailer..... like me....granted, i have a load in the bed.... :D Hard time keeping my foot out of it.

Is your truck stock height?? Great to hear to those numbers, glad you're enjoying the truck....

cool, my lly with normal tailgate stuff, and 5 guys got 18 and change with my big tune in. cant complain bout that.

Stock tires, i cant find rims at the right price around my area or else i would have bigger tires on there. So for now pizza cutters for me. I know i could have got more out of it but with all the stopping for drunk people it was making it hard. But im still enjoying the hell out of it. Even with just a 40 horse tow tune:sifone:

It's a good thing you didn't have me there driven we both know I couldn't get those mileage numbers out of your truck, or any for that matter that skinny little pedal on the right just goes down so easy on these D-maxes.

Back