• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frozen Brake Adjuster Help

guybb3

Reaction score
Anyone have a way I haven't thought of to unfreeze this G.D. thing while it's still inside the drum. I turned it a few clicks only a couple months ago but now it won't budge.:mad2: I doubt I'll be able to take the drum off without backing it off a bit.

Star wheel?
Did you Hose it down with a bunch of penitrating oil and brake cleaner. You will have better luck using the right tool instead of a screw driver.

Haven't had the pleasure of tearing mine down yet but they should be the same as any other set of rear brake parts.

You may need to take a small screwdriver and push the lever that keeps the adjuster from loosening by itself while you pry the adjuster around with another screwdriver or little prybar.

I had one that was stuck fast. Put a torch in the adjuster hole and cut it in half. There was absolutely no freeing it otherwise.

Try PB blaster that stuff works miracles, helped me get rusted brake lines off without destroying them.

Sometimes the drum is stuck to the hub not the shoes. I've had to heat around the hub with a torch to break them loose. If you really get desperete you can break the drum off with a sledgehammer[last resort]. I allways replace the springs and adjusters when doing drum brakes. New drums have gotten cheaper than getting used ones turned now.

I've noticed that drums and discs are getting thinner. By the time you need a break job they can't be turned.

My dad had a rear wheel come loose on his 89 and it tore the drum and brakes up. He had a hell of a time finding a new starwheel adjuster. I would try some PB blaster, that stuff works great. I would get the adjuster tool for the wheel, they work alot better then a screw driver.

The local Carquest had star wheel adjusters in stock. Sometimes you have to ruin stuff to get it apart. I spent years as a flat rate tech and you could not fool around trying to salvage junk.

I'm not trying to fix the adjuster, guys. I just wonder how to get it to back off a little so I can pull the drum off and buy a new one.

Your brakes are mounted to this plate so you wouldnt want to weaken it. I wouldnt think you would never have a problem if you enlarge it a little.

Once it's apart, if you're looking at new drums, then do one of two things. Either get OEM drums (or at least OEM quality - read MADE IN USA) or switch over to a rear disc brake system. The $ you'll spend on a quality set of drums will take a big chunk out of the disc brake conversion kit.

I thought I'd take a chance with overseas made drums to save a buck or two. The quality sucks, they're not made like the originals physically, and they're egg shaped, to boot. I want to say they were only $80 each. You get what you pay for, though.

TD had a place where he got his for his half ton. I think they're making 8 lug versions now. He did his quite a long time ago. He had a write up on it some place. I think there are kits available for Eldorado calipers, too, somewhere.

Back