• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front end noise?

oros35

Nuclear Nerd
Reaction score
I've got a noise in my front end, sounds like drivers front wheel. Need some help on what it could be.

It's been making some noise for about 2 months (2K miles or so) It sounded like a bad tire and was pretty quiet. My tires were quite worn and I didn't give it much thought. I expected it to go away when I put some new tires on. so a couple weeks ago I put some new tires on, they balenced well. The sound didn't go away, and has gotten quite a bit worse here in the past couple hundred miles.

So it sounds like a thump-thump-thump that increases and decreases with speed. My first thought was a bad belt in the tire, or out of balance. I can now feel it in the steering wheel and floor when it gets bad. Its not always there, doesn't really change if you hit the brakes, sometimes goes away when making a right turn but not usually a left.

Truck is an '05 2500HD 4dr long bed 4x4 with about 90K miles.

Thanks!

Nope, thump sound that goes with the speed of the wheel.

Might have a bit of a roar but the strongest sound and feel is the thump.

Well I know that is bad, but this is a different feel. It follows the speed of the wheels. My intermediate shaft has been bad for a while now, this is a new sound and feel.

Probably the hub bearings. Jack it up and see if you have play when you try to wiggle the tire when grabbing it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. If there's play you'll need a new hub assembly. The're available over the internet for a reasonable (not dealer) price.

Also after driving it today, I only notice it at about 40mph and up.

Flat smooth roads I notice it the most.

I'll have to jack it up and check the bearings tomorrow.

Drivers side Wheel bearing. It was pretty bad. Plus my calipers were froze so it destroyed the rotors and pads.

Back