• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

front drive shaft

dusty

Reaction score
hey i need to replace a ujoint on my front shaft but the slip joint is siezed i got as far as getting the u joint loose but i cannot shorten the shaft if i heat the slip joint will it melt the old grease enough to bang it loose and let it drop or what??
thanks 4 any advice

Last edited:
If you can still drive it some you should spray a bunch of penetrating oil on the slip joint area and then drive slowly over some really uneven ground to make it work in and out. That may loosen it. Otherwise the penetrating oil followed by large prybars alternated with BFHs.

If it is seized that bad,my experience is that the joint is shot,rust prob came between the coating and swells it up.
There is often enough "give" in the axle and tranny mountings to flip the u joints out of the yoke with a long pry bar.
If you lay the slip joint on a piece of solid(wood or steel) and beat the the daylights out of the joint ,it might come loose.
It is most likely a lack of grease causing it.There is normally very little movement in the slip joint(in or out)otherwise it would never seize.

Back