• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

front air deflectors On or off?

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
I just noticed tonight that I do not have a front air deflector on anything I own.

Do they serve a purpose?

Should I put some on?

I guess because I never had them I never noticed them missing.

They do improve aerodynamics on the highway by channeling some of the airflow away from the rough underbelly of the vehicle and routing it down the (relatively) smooth sides (reduce drag).

Most remove them for off roading approach angles.

Or, the just get ripped on something and it's cheaper/easier to just remove them.

Both my '85 3/4t 4x4 diesels came with them, as did the '90 3/4t 4x4. Just picked up a front bumper from a '90 gasser Sub, which has an abbreviated version, doesn't extend all the way out to the sides, and is also more of a "chin spoiler", sticks out forward at an angle, whereas the diesel versions are vertical, pointing straight down at the road.

I recall a comment about high pressure tending to accumulate under the hood on these trucks... maybe more on the 3/4t models since they sit a little higher? I'd expect higher underhood pressure to lower airflow rates through the grille and radiator stack. Not sure... but I'd guess that this would be the reason for the spoiler. Aside from a slight help with mpg, I can't imagine why else they'd have done it.

PS: The gasser dam definitely looks a bit racier than the stodgy diesel design, at least on the OBS trucks.

The 1999 Tahoe that I owned had an air deflector on it. My cousin's 1997 K1500 has one, both vehicles were/are stock.

I would have it on a vehicle that saw mostly highway service; otherwise I would remove the deflector.

Both of my 95's had them. The gassers got ripped off between hitting deer and too many romps through the pasture. The z71 still has one and I plan to keep it that way, it kinda hides the POS IFS

My 95 suburban has one. Again, only a 1/2 ton. I cant decide if I like the look or not. My one concern was that it might cut some of the airflow for the heath pmd cooler.

Ive had a 94 1/2 ton, which didnt have one, so i got one at the junkyard and installed it. Then i had a 97 tahoe which had one. When i bought my 94 6.5 it didnt have one. But it had a plow on it, when they installed plows in the 90's they just took them off instead of cutting them like they do now on the newer trucks where they are in-set for plow brackets to stick out. I ended up going back to the junkyard and getting another, tried putting it on and cutting it but i messed up, so i got another and cut it and it fits well. Im pretty sure most trucks left the factory with them, but like said they go through beating on some trucks. So they get disposed of alot. I got rid of the rotted out clip bolt things for some stainless bolts and nuts. Now it comes off easy.

My truck doesn't have them and I like it that way. I'd hate to deflect air away from the engine/radiator as these things have enough cooling issues on their own.

Actually they may force more air to the radiator as described above.

"I recall a comment about high pressure tending to accumulate under the hood on these trucks... maybe more on the 3/4t models since they sit a little higher? I'd expect higher underhood pressure to lower airflow rates through the grille and radiator stack. Not sure... but I'd guess that this would be the reason for the spoiler. Aside from a slight help with mpg, I can't imagine why else they'd have done it."

Actually they may force more air to the radiator as described above.

"I recall a comment about high pressure tending to accumulate under the hood on these trucks... maybe more on the 3/4t models since they sit a little higher? I'd expect higher underhood pressure to lower airflow rates through the grille and radiator stack. Not sure... but I'd guess that this would be the reason for the spoiler. Aside from a slight help with mpg, I can't imagine why else they'd have done it."

Dunno, perhaps the 1/2 ton had to pass a better mpg rating...

Only ever seen on or two that didn't have one on it, and they were farm trucks the see regular use through the field and pasture. Everything from the 3500's right down to the 1/2 ton's even the fullsize van's have had them.

Last edited:
You can get them new on ebay; just need to then get the bolts and body clips from an auto parts store. I just recently added one to mine.

How much are they on Ebay? Do you have a link?

I picked up 3 today at the junk yard. Along with 2 splash gaurds & 2 transmission guards and some misc. stuff for $22

Back