• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front air dam for the Chevy?

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
I just heard Ford came out with an improved front air dam for their pickups, they are seeing an average 1-4 mpg improvement. Is there such an improvement for the Chevy trucks? I have taller tires on mine (see sig), so it sits a little higher. I could stand a little help if the air dam would do it.

I just heard Ford came out with an improved front air dam for their pickups, they are seeing an average 1-4 mpg improvement. Is there such an improvement for the Chevy trucks? I have taller tires on mine (see sig), so it sits a little higher. I could stand a little help if the air dam would do it.

I'm not sure, maybe we should submit this to mythbusters so they can spend the money on testing various products. ;)

Ozzie said:
When you turn your truck on, does it return the favor?

Been hitting the Cadillac commercials?:ihih: That woman is really attractive in those commercials...come to think of it the one in the Mercury commercials is too.:thumbsup:

The theory is sound. However, I doubt 4 mpg (25%?) improvement.

The overheating LLY guys tried a variety of airflow mods. One of my friends is still running an airdam he calls a "street squeegee." It is an ~8" tall piece of conveyor belt on a 1/2" square tubing support that hangs down below his valance damn near to street level. Says it improves both mileage and cooling. Probably more in the order of 1 mpg or 4%....which actually seems believable....

Aerodynamics are a touchy thing, in order to fabricate an effective airfoil a wind tunnel is almost necessary. Altering coefficient drag to improve aerodynamics is a laborious and tedious process, basically our trucks are bricks, and for us to engineer an efficient air dam would be almost impossible. I don't think an air dam is going to do much for mileage when you look at the grill of one of these trucks. They are designed to catch air, not slipstream, closing up the grill, and taping the body seams would be much more effective, but also may result in overheating.

It sure seems like a game of inches...and from what I've read, some mods seem to help some and not others. I sure like what I have been reading about the air dams, even if it is only just a little. There has to be a lot of air caught under these trucks. If a dam could help I'd be interested.

And yes, I love those Caddy commercials...I just had to do a little adaptation for my sig...:biggrinjester:

i put the 1/2ton 4x4 one on my 06' 3500 daully ,,its 4'' and fits in the factory holes,,i have figured out im getting 1 mpg better,,and the front looks better since you cant see the suspion as much anymore

Been hitting the Cadillac commercials?:ihih: That woman is really attractive in those commercials...come to think of it the one in the Mercury commercials is too.:thumbsup:

the chick from the caddy commercials is the same chick from Grey;s anotomy and she will have her own show soon.......My wife loves that show...sorry

the mercury chick is an ex-model and I met her 2 years ago an the New Car Expo in vegas, had a few drink and got nowhere, dammit!!!!......lol....can't blame me for trying though.....she is a really cool chick though

They did have that on mythbusters. I believe that the air dam and tonneau cover made the best improvements, but I could be wrong.

i put a yukon dam on mine but thats not the reason why. it was just an appearance experiment. hell this might not even be what your talking about.

i66886.jpg

4mpg sounds a little beyond the scope of reasonable to me. If you want better mileage this way, lowering your truck will do as much or more than an air dam.

i also highly doubt 4mpg. if that's the case then w/ my airdam only being 1.5" from the ground that should put me at 7-10 mpg increase lol.

Back