• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frightliner Detroit 60 series Starting Issue

Chad The Lad

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to the forum! I've never posted to a forum before in my life but I'm at a stand still! I own a 08 Frightliner with a Detroit d60... Now that it's cold out I'm having a hell of a time with this truck! It will start fine, almost instantly at first in the morning. It will run/idle for 5 minutes or so and then just die. After it dies I have to crank and crank on it amd it will eventually start sputtering and then finally start fine. After I get it started the second time it will run all day long like normal..... Tell the next morning and I have to repeat the process. It's been at a local shop amd they can't seem to find the problem either! They have messed with the pump, replaced injectors and even re programed the computer! I haven't heard from the shop in a week or so. Does anyone here possibly have any ideas? It is not the block heater or the fuel gelled up. It has winter mix fuel and even tried additives. None of our other trucks have any problems. Thanks in advance!

Yup. You have 2 fuel filters to check for leaks. Secondary is front of the engine and just a regular screw on, primary is usually frame mounted and has a plastic base to it with the fuel drain and water in fuel sensor you have to unplug before removing, so an oring on top and bottom. Because many new mechanics tend to over tighten filters, some guys only do the minimum 1/4 turn after contact on install and it isn’t enough to seal all the way. So look close for leaks there. Even if none noticed, grab a filter wrench and try snugging up both filters and the plastic part on the bottom of the primary. If it does it every time still you could remove and replace the orings or complete filters just to rule them out. If still an issue you need to check where the fuel line goes into the pump, that it is maintaining fuel there. Not an easy task and is one of the things Detroit changed each progression and size. Just follow the line out the secondary filter and you’ll see it. Temporarily adding an electric lift fuel pump to the line coming out of the tank to pressurize the system helps find leaks. It is a Detroit so if it aint leaking that means it’s empty- haha. But seriously ya might need to start with a bath cleaning everything off perfect to start seeing the leak. Remember the fuel before the pump is under suction so it will let air in, and not fuel leaking out. So don’t expect to see a fuel puddle as the evidence.

Idk the 08, but wrenching on the older ones till about 01 or 02 - the ddec had issues and although would seem to take programming, would have to be checked after and redone sometimes. So if you go through fuel system 100%, you might be back to this, but really doubtful the issue.

Could be the shop you took it to missed something and keep going there and they won’t get it. Series 60 is most hated and most loved Diesel engine out there- so another shop that really knows them shouldn’t be hard to find. I would suggest a different one because once a place starts hitting a wall and throwing parts at it- they won’t get it even if they are normally a good shop. NEw set of eyes on it.

Back