• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Freakin air filter fell off!

BKDespain

Recruit
Reaction score
This is the second time I have had my volant intake air filter fall off.:confused: Intake tube had quite a bit of dirt in it. Took the mouth piece off the turbo and found about a fingernail thickness of dirt and oil at the bottom. Took it all apart and cleaned everything. Turbo seems fine. I just hope the filter had been off for a short time. I have been driving in dusty conditions everyday for a month now. I hope the motor didnt eat to much dirt :sad:

How hard is it to remove the intercooler and clean?

You probably should change the oil now since all that eventually made it through the motor and into the oil. If its real sandy or gritty, you caught it in time.

I had this happen on my 04 LLY running the AFE intake. The intake tube popped off from the turbo inlet. It never was a real good seal after that.

It's a Common Problem with the Volant Filters Falling Off. Even if you Tighten the Clamp to the Point of it almost Breaking.

My advice while you are changing the oil (like Nick recommended) would also be to have an oil analysis done...and I would have it analyzed the next couple of times you change it as well...JMHO

I changed the oil filter tonight. I poured the oil from the filter through my fingers and it may be a tiny bit gritty. I hope its ok to drive for a few days. Engine sounds good, nothing unusual going on I dont think. I hope it didn't hurt anything.

I really want to get an oa done too. Can you guys give me some info on getting one done? Who, what, where etc.. Thanks

Thanks. My wife is picking me up some dino oil tonight. changing tomorrow and getting a sample at the same time. Drive a for a week then change again. should have all the dirt out by then.

Thanks Nick. I bought a kit tonight and be here in 3 days. when it gets here I will take another sample from the dino.

the oil you want to sample is whats in there now...and then again on your next change...what you will be looking for is high amounts of wear metals showing up...

I got a sample in a water bottle from the first change. Grit in the bottom. not a lot but a little. I plan on running the dino oil for a week or so then changing it again, taking another sample. So what should I do if the tests come back that my oil is bad and the engine has a lot of wear?

Post up your OA results and I'll walk you through it, or you can pm/email them to me and give me a call. Either way.

Ashton

My oil was dropped off 2 days ago. I mailed it 12 days ago. UPS took their sweet time. I am just waiting for my results to get back. Hopefully any day now since I sent it into Salt Lake.

Who did you send it to?

I was meaning to do a OA on mine when I changed it yesterday but forgot.

I sent it Oil Analyzer Laboratory in Salt Lake City. Prepaid ups. I still havent got it back yet. I think it's a lost cause....I'm Pissed!!

Back