• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frame Protection....

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I was thinking of painting the frame in our 1500CC with spray on bed liner. I was wondering if it was OK to paint over any surface rust? Other than a good power wash, will that work??

Last edited:
You can try to clean the rust but IMO it would be a losing battle. I have seen quite a few guys just spray over the rust with good results. But there is a paint out there that will stop the rust, i dont know the name of it right off so you will have to research it or just ask a body shop what it is. This paint seals the rust from getting oxygen, has a nice gloss finish and is impact resistant. It was also designed mainly for truck frames.

POR-15 works great for rust so far. Wire wheel the heck out of it to knock off the loose stuff, desgrease, and then paint away. On the other hand I am completely un-impressed on its job on bare metal so far, even following there process it doesnt bond to bare metal well. Some spots I can scratch it off with my finger nail. But the rusted spots it wont chip, peel, or budge. I'm yet to find out long term rust prevention benefits of it, but it goes on nice, its self leveling, i.e. you cant tell it's been brushed on. You need to paint over the top of it though, 2 weeks in the sun, it was already getting hazy. But I'd recommend it for a frame with heavy rust to light surface rust.

I would recommend against using bed liner over rust without some kind of neutrilizer underneath it to try to prevent the rust. I've seen bed-liner peel right off of metal that has rust underneath. Even stuff that was painted when new over factory paint. It doesnt do much to prevent existing rust from expanding.

Back