• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frame clean up and coating - POR 15 or???

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Come summer, I want to start cleaning up the frame on my truck, axles, etc, and coat it with something, POR 15 is what I was thinking.

Does it have to be down to bare metal for this to work??

What have you guys used?? Open to suggestions??

This is my daily driver, so it will have to be done on weekends, a little bit at a time.

POR 15 is fine as long as the surface is roughed up to give it something to bite into; does not have to be bare metal.....you can look into DP 90 which comes in spray cans or brush on like the POR 15. with either one make sure to use throw away foam brushes and gloves; cover anything you think may get dripped onto and then another 3 FT beyond that....even if you clean the "spill" right away it takes some thinner and alot of work to clean up..

POR 15 is fine as long as the surface is roughed up to give it something to bite into; does not have to be bare metal.....you can look into DP 90 which comes in spray cans or brush on like the POR 15. with either one make sure to use throw away foam brushes and gloves; cover anything you think may get dripped onto and then another 3 FT beyond that....even if you clean the "spill" right away it takes some thinner and alot of work to clean up..

This the stuff?? May be cheaper then POR 15.

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishprodu...roductID=c98c3f28-89c5-467d-9983-e87c240f4c09

Minimal prep needed?? Spray can, or just the quarts?? (I can brush it, correct?? (Unless I buy a small gun...) On my case, brush would be better.

For the rear differential (center section) it needs to be able to handle some heat. Factory paint is gone pretty quick on those.

has anyone tried the waxy stuff that GM originally put on the frame?

Most of mine is gone in areas I pressure washed...would that have to be stripped completely before using these other products?

I have rattle canned the bare spots for now to prevent rusting...

has anyone tried the waxy stuff that GM originally put on the frame?

Most of mine is gone in areas I pressure washed...would that have to be stripped completely before using these other products?

I have rattle canned the bare spots for now to prevent rusting...
I'm sure you'd have to strip it Pepp. That's some sticky waxy stuff. Unless you were using the same stuff. I wouldn't know where to find it.

I'd use something like BBQ or engine paint on the diff, at least the pumpkin. Couple thick coats of it.

Any chassis paint worth a shit is probably volatile and won't make it across the border Will.

I sprayed one blazer frame and brushed a truck frame with por 15, the sprayed stuff looked awesome and has held up and the brushed looks brushed but held up good too, way better than any chassis paint I have ever tried, although it has strong chemicals that screw with my head,no crap the worst of anything xcept paint stripper!!!!

Back