• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ford rear axle help

Clark20ry

Agent #58 OB-DII A(ALCU)
Reaction score
Ok I am helping my friend fix a leaking seal on the rear axle of an 05 Crown Vic p71 police cruiser. He stripped the lock pin retaining bolt. I have drilled it and am trying to use a screw extractor but it is just not working. I don't want to break the extractor off in it because we will never get it out. Any idea's??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yes it is very soft metal and for some reason cranked real tight

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Heat the bolt until it is red hot and let it cool, if it won't move heat it again and try it while it's still hot. A good pair of vise grip pliers should grab it to turn.

Well after 6 hours of drilling different technics I finally got the darn thing off. I tried to chisel the flange on it and it was just shaving it off so I put the screw extractor back in for one more try and it finally broke loose... I yelled at the top of my lungs, I hope his neighbors didn't freak out. I am so sore... Pulling the axles should have only taken an hour to remove, we started at 2:30 and cleaned up at 10:30... That was just taking them out. He now has to get bearings and seals and new axles... Hopefully the reassemble next week doesn't take long....

NVW I was not sure about using a torch to heat it up being everything was soaked in gear oil.....

The gear oil only burns for a little while:D

Glad you got it done.:thumbsup:

Back