• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ford 7.3 - Probably beaten to death but reduce fuel while increase cetane

NintendoKD

Reaction score
So, I tried a pretty generic search but was having trouble putting it into words, maybe another member can clue me in. If diesel kleen increases cetane then running less fuel "fuel screw adjustment" and timing can improve fuel mileage. What are my limits here? For timing and fuel. I am a daily driver and have a camper shell on the bed. Driving 55 even on he highway so power is not my ultimatum. What am I looking at or is it not worth it? Driving 2200 miles soon on the 40 all the way getting better than 20 mpg would be awesome for a trip that long. Using diesel kleen. Most people want more power but I want longevity and fuel economy.
Thanks

Sorry but what model of truck do you have (fill out your signature when you get a chance please).

I would say the price of diesel kleen or any additive is going to make the mpg gains provided more expensive than the what you save on fuel.

Probably break even with additive and cost but its also good maintenance and insurance. I'd also say it really depends on fuel quality. Not as much need for cetane improver with good fresh diesel. I don't think above 45 cetane helps more and it tapers off quickly above 50 is wasted money they say. Fresh fuel should probably be between 42 and 45 and older fuel I'd guess 40 at most stations to upper 30's. ???? If you were trying to increase economy I would very lightly dose the additive just to raise the cetane 2pts as its expensive.

Cetane would probably help cranking and acceleration more than cruise I'd guess??? If you cruise alot I bet tunning for light load would get better results. I'd think 195 or 200F thermostats and big turbo/exhaust. The stats would help keep heat in heads to increase fuel burn timing and the turbo would let the most mass of air pump through effeciently. I don't think they left a lot of mpg untapped without significant trade off of power and driveability.

I just love how the 6.5 gets better economy than the duramax, LOL

It's not a fair fight if you see my Dmax and the loads it pulls but the way the Dmax is currently set up it doesn't beat 17 very often.

It does make me want to keep my 6.5 and get my others back on the road lol.

Back