• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

For those in salt ridden climates

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor and check your frames around the front body mount steel on both sides of the vehicle. In between the two welded "perches" that make up the vertical sides of the body mount support I noticed a large amount of scale on the passenger side of the frame up next to the top body mount support seam today when doing some routine maintenance. A few taps with the extension i was using to tighten the exhaust crossover bolts revealed a hole a little smaller than a dime. :eek:

I painted that entire area on both sides with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator after knocking the remains of the scale/loose rust off, fearing that i'd find more holes. I pray it doesn't get worse, but only time will tell.

By the looks of things and considering there was another factory "pre-drilled" hole right next to the hole i made with the extension i believe that the hole i found today was a factory hole that filled up with road "crap" and rusted out a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on those areas in the future that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to check on the 1/2 and light 3/4 tons is the U-bolts that hold the rear axle to the leaf springs.:agreed: When I junked my 91 light 3/4 a few years ago the u-bolts were rusted to less than 3/8"!!!!!:yikes::yikes: The last thing I had done with it before junking was pull 10,000 lbs trailer:eek::Eyecrazy:
It also had the frame issues that Dave described. That and the 700r4 tranny going out was why I junked it. I'll get some pics. I saved the u-bolts.

you mean like these:

DSC03681.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

Yup. Common issue in "rust belts".

It's what finally killed my old 89.....

terminal cancer.

:mad2:

exactly like that BJ.

I haven't driven that truck in the winter in 2 years, and it still rusted through in that one spot. I have a feeling that hole isn't fresh but rather "freshly uncovered". That truck isn't driven from when the first snow falls(that requires road plowing/salting) until all the snow melts. Mainly because it's a 2wd truck, but a close second on the list was so it didn't disintegrate since they go absolutely bonkers with the road sand/salt up here. They've had this new liquid stuff for the past few years that's some kind of pre-treatment for the roads that's extremely corrosive and basically eats metal away.

In your second photo you can see the "vertical" parts of the body mount support i was talking about. The hole i found was behind the first support on the passenger side, in between the two supports that make up the first body mount perch.

exactly like that BJ.

I haven't driven that truck in the winter in 2 years, and it still rusted through in that one spot. I have a feeling that hole isn't fresh but rather "freshly uncovered". That truck isn't driven from when the first snow falls(that requires road plowing/salting) until all the snow melts. Mainly because it's a 2wd truck, but a close second on the list was so it didn't disintegrate since they go absolutely bonkers with the road sand/salt up here. They've had this new liquid stuff for the past few years that's some kind of pre-treatment for the roads that's extremely corrosive and basically eats metal away.

In your second photo you can see the "vertical" parts of the body mount support i was talking about. The hole i found was behind the first support on the passenger side, in between the two supports that make up the first body mount perch.

Urea is a common ice melter that can be spread with liquid.

Nova Scotia was just beginning to bring it in when I left.

It's hell and gone on any exposed steel.

My West Coast truck is getting 50 lbs of oil and undercoating when I head back east......

Got the u-bolt pics and some pics of a current project. The current project is replacing the rusted out rear brake line and fuel lines on my 95 LD.IMG_1672_15.JPGIMG_1673_16.JPGThe plate that goes under the axle is the perfect trap for dirt and salt.

IMG_1669_12.JPGIMG_1671_14.JPG

These are the rusty fuel lines coming out of the pick-up/sender and where it converts back to steel line going to the lift pump along the frame rail.

IMG_1674_17.jpgIMG_1675_18.jpgIMG_1676_19.jpg

The brake line ,on this truck, blew out above the rear axle. They usually rust out along side the fuel tank where the frame bends up to go over the rear axle.

Too bad civilians can't buy real CARC paint. It saved my CUCV. I run whatever I am driving through the carwash after every storm. it's a must do up here and also must powerwwash and clean frame by the rear bumper and inside the bumper itself.

Back