• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

For someone I know: RPM spiking, code 32 & 33

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
Problem: Explain your problem in concise language

Throws engine codes 32 and 33 at unpredictable intervals (usually when traversing steep, unpaved terrain), and engine RPMs occasionally spike without touching the accelerator when manually switching gears and when braking or releasing the accelerator. Appears to be getting worse (at least the rpm-spiking does) with time.

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: 1995
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500): K1500
- Automatic or Standard: automatic
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km): 207,000 miles
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc): PMD, glowplugs, No. 9 resistor installed
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR?: S, turbo, EGR (I assume, since the codes indicate EGR failure)
- Ambient outside temp (indicate *C or *F): Variable. Usually above 10 C
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc): highway-approved diesel, occasionally 10% bio-blend
- What fuel additives are you using?: Cetane boost low-sulfur diesel fuel additive
- Where are you located?: northern intermountain region in USA, WA state

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?

- Air filter: Unknown, prior to 2005 would be most recent.
- Fuel filter: Changed 2007
- CDR Valve: Unknown
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at: Unknown, prior to 2005 if at all. Truck still has dexcool in it, may be original.
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at: Regular, changed last at 201,000 miles
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at: Good charge, matched set, replaced 2008
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): Clean
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them?: Less than 10,000 miles. What type?: SSD, high-performance "instant heat".
- Injectors - last changed at: Unknown, prior to 2005 if at all.

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)

- What were you doing when it happened?: driving at variable speeds over steep, uneven, unpaved terrain
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared?: running fine
- Has this problem ever happened before?: happens regularly, engine high-revving "bucking" seems to be getting worse
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem.: codes thrown indicate an EGR/ECM failure. Altitude-dependent? Does not seem to be strongly corellated with altitude

- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? Yes, Codes 32 & 33.

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:

1a] Does the engine start?: Yes
1b] Does the engine crank over?: Yes
1c] Are your batteries fully charged?: Yes
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections?: No
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long?: Yes, less than 8 seconds.
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? How long?: Yes, less than 8 seconds.
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color?: Yes, black.

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted): Intake
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? _________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. _________
3d] PMD Make: New model from SSD, not Stanadyne.
3e] PMD Age: New last summer, so 1-yr old.

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank?: No
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)?: No
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start?: No
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration?: No

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have aftermarket gauges?: No
6b] Maximum boost under load?: unknown
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip?: Don't think so.
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover?: No
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum?: Unknown

I edited out the sections that he did not answer. This is for a guy I know at school, he's been having the afore mentioned codes and problem occur more frequently and wanted to know what it might be. It is possible the truck has a PROM w/ +40HP tune in it, previous owner mentioned it though unverified.

Last edited:
If there are any particular questions about the truck, I was the only person who worked on it for the last 3.5 years. This is my now former roommate and I was not in the area when this problem started so Devin took it into his hands.

Truck history

1995-2000: The original (1st) owner bought the truck in Montana.

2000-2005: Second owner was an older man, he had the truck 5 years of which he put approx 3,500miles on it towing a medium sized 5th wheel, and was otherwise garaged.

2005-Current: My former roommate bought in March 2005 with approx. 173,000 miles. GM dealership did blowby and compression test and came out above average for age/mileage. Truck has not towed anything since.

There is evidence that in it's previous life it has:

Been flat towed behind an RV (only the front of truck is chipped, airdamn & towhooks modified driver's seat and pedals not worn)

Had a slide in camper (camper mounts on bumper and front of bed)

Towed varying ball hitch trailers (reciever and 3 types of plugs, 7-way, 5-way and 4 flat)

5th wheel (has 5th wheel rails from second owner)

Last edited:
Hey I was just reading through again, the air filter was replaced about 1.5 years ago but needs replaced again, last time i saw it it was rather bad.

Back