• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

For ATT owners re the intake hose

Slim Shady

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Reaction score
Ok for those of you that own an ATT. I have been paying attention to the recent issue with the supplied intake hose. I have a question then, do you think the continued oil bath internally on the hose deteriorates the hose and If I sourced a different hose or two hump hoses and a piece of steel between the two, it would be worth it even if the price went up slightly to cover the increased cost. I am all about durability and I don't like the fact that a few hoses have failed (seems mostly the oily hoses).

So let me know what you think.

i would be interested but only if mine fails. i don't need one right now. i am going to vent my cdr to the ground for now.

I have not had many fail only a very few have had issues. Like I said mostly the engines with a lot of oil in the intake. I am just looking at making the setup as durable as possible. I hate failures of any kind with my vehicle.

Mine never failed but to be honest it didn't spend much time on there. I had ordered the ATT and then that same day ordered a couple hump hoses and clamps. I also had someone install the ATT for me and they put the hosing on, I got home and the next day went about swapping it out. Would I have paid extra, hard to say but probably would have. I don't know your cost for your hose but I would recommend going with the hump hoses. Might be a good idea to offer people two choices for hoses. but if durability is key then yes, hump hosing would be the way to go. Mine is still as clean as the day I installed it but your hose probably would be as well. My engine is in good shape, I think

My '99 has an oil problem around the hose, yet the engine is not a heavy consumer of oil an shows minimal blowby. I'm going to have to do Buddy's set-up of clamps, silicon hose and pipe once I find the right pipe. So the answer to your question is yes I'd pay more, because I'm doing so anyway.

I dont think it is the oil eroding it. I think it is kind of fragile for the job. There may be more people with tearing without oil to show it. The stock coupler has much more reinforcement. Clamp it on tight, bend it, add boost pressure and then there is fatigue at stress points. If you accidentally clamp down its own metal rings then that will tear it. So it could be from improper handling, but if it were beefier there would be that problem. Its simply thin and more susceptible to damage even from slightly abrasive surfaces. A lot of people have the worm gear clamps, just like my truck had on it when I bought it. Those are inadequate, so should also be getting the wider T-bolt clamps for a better seal, and more evenly dispersed clamping force.

Have you tried or anyone tried a couple 30 degree silicone bend couplers to see if it would line up right?

In my case the install had the metal in the hose damaging the outside of the hose during install. The angle appears hard to get perfect even with the engine out. IMO this is the weak point of the kit. In fact if you sent me a price for the pictured double hump kit to replace this hose I would buy one now. I don't want another fragile orange hose.

The hose being oil soaked is "normal" and fine with me. The oil being blown all over the place is not. I have emissions and DOT checks to pass so a road draft tube is not an option for me.

On further thought make a better hose an "option" like the turbo blanket is. This will allow those on a budget to get the turbo and add to the intake later.

Ok guys, lets talk. I tried to make the kit as bullet proof as possible. Hose is oil resistant good to 19 psi at 300 degree Fahrenheit. This was the hose the manufacturer suggested. Ok three years later and some hoses have had issues.

SO without getting in my shorts, I am trying to make the kit better. I will be looking into replacing the hose with a better design. My point is and was to make a exceptional kit for a good price. I don't make a ton of money at this so I have to make sure I spend the money wisely to upgrade the hose. Kit might go up another 20 to 25 bucks for the upgraded hose kit. This would be the standard then.

So what is the consensus.

War Wagon, I don't have the parts to upgrade the kit yet. I can send you a link to the place I have been looking to buy the hoses. Matuva has perfected a setup that I might end up offering if I can source it a little cheaper. Silicone hose is not cheap. The setup is approximately fifty five to sixty dollars plus shipping.

$25 more for 4 good clamps and reinforced silicone sounds good to me. This way the kit is more robust, at least as much as stock is a plus. since a lot of people climb into the engine bay, I would want it as strong and stable as possible across the large gap.

I would have gone for it and if I went back to the stock set up I'd be looking at the double hump set up.

I would go for it at my next turbo and would upgrade this one when I could.

Not getting in anyone shorts, sorry if it comes off that way. My 1st post on this was just wondering if it was normal or if I had damaged the coupler. The rash of bad new parts failing on me and the other bad luck is getting on my nerves a little. You guys are here to support us and appear willing to change the design when you run into problems.

Looked at mine today and the install to my memory has one of the steel spring wires go through the outer thin wall. Looking on the inside the same has happened allowing the oil to get out via a small hole then around the wire about 2 turns and then out. To me it is more fragile that I would like as I installed it with the engine out... Also I tend to tear into these very deeply often so Heavy Duty has a lot of value to me. I also work mine hard in high heat.

I am willing to buy the first kit you offer.

Back