• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FNG Guy from Arizona with 6.2 Diesel wanting to upgrade to a 92 6.5 turbo

just-j

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking to get a 92 Chevy 6.5 turbo truck as a donor vehicle.

What do I need to pull off the 92 truck to make the swap on my 82 Chevy 1ton 6.2 ??

(wiring harness off the 92) etc ....

I'm looking to rebuild the 6.5 eng.

The truck will mainly be used for semi-heavy hauling..... 2/3 car hauler trailer.

Would like to build a good reliable 6.5 turbo engine.

From what I've been reading..... here are my thoughts !!

Marine 18.CR pistons ?

Marine injectors ??

Banks 6.2 turbo (right side) exhaust manifold.

Custom (left side) exhaust manifold 3.5 cross over pipe.

Delta 206 Cam grind ?

ATT Turbo set-up or open to suggestions ?

Timing gears and or chain with a mains girdle ??

Nv4500 trans.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

DSCN2178.jpg

I would go cheap. There is no reason to spend more than you will make with your truck on your truck.

In doing so I would turbocharge your 6.2 and not bother with a 6.5 swap. I would do this by changing the head gaskets to the 6.5 head gaskets and swapping the precups to the 6.5 turbo precups. This gives you the bigger 6.2 exhaust valves. You need a set of short turbo 6.5 injectors.

They make a 2 piece 6.5 crossover that may work for you - use the banks turbo side and keep the 6.2 driver side manifold. I would wrap the manifolds and crossover with header wrap. I would also wrap the downpipe to just below the cab. This will keep underhood temps down and give the turbo a little more heat to spool.

I would use a A-Team turbo and bury the IP screw. After using both the GM turbo isn't even worth putting on to tow.

Yes, out here you need the turbo for the power and that is quite frankly not enough at times. Get an umbrella that you can wedge between the seat and hold the throttle WOT as it will save you a leg cramp on some of the hills we have here. Cruise likes to kick out at 16 MPH below your set point, safety cut out I think.

Timing gear sets do not appear to be available new anymore.

If you want a 6.5 or need an engine in yours anyway - get an Optimizer block. Otherwise the cheap route is military surplus engines. Low miles is the only other way to try and get crack free blocks. I would not bother with a donor truck. The 6.2 /6.5 is almost a throw away engine due to block and head cracking.

As far as swapping parts for your truck from a 1992 6.5...
Mechanical IP so not much to swap.
You need a vacuum pump - belt drive or swap the 6.2 oil pump drive one in.
Swap the TPS with the vac switch for the transmission on the side of the IP if equipped. You have a man trans so never mind.
Keep the newer glow plug controller from the 1992, Some simple wire mods to get that to work.
Make sure the block drain is on the engine to keep the clutch dry. Check pilot bearing...

Diesel Services Group still lists the timing gear set on their website, one would have to contact them to be sure.

If there is something wrong with your 6.2 then buy an engine from Ted's, an NV4500 is rare to find for sale but not completely out of reach and could be had if time is not an issue. The banks + ATT should make for a good set up.

Good Luck! Keep us posted...

Back