• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fluidampr....

That has been my opinion all along. Putting a 500$ damper on a 6.5TD is a waste of money for most. These engines live plenty long lives with a stock quality one.

the other thing that is seldom mentioned is that the fluidamper only has a 3 year lifespan-at least in racing circles.
I haven't read the advertised lifespan for oem replacement but am not a fan of them and have run them before.

the other thing that is seldom mentioned is that the fluidamper only has a 3 year lifespan-at least in racing circles.
I haven't read the advertised lifespan for oem replacement but am not a fan of them and have run them before.

Interesting. Their site states that if you don't physically damage the damper, it won't wear out. Apparently most of the problems arise from installation issues.

Over at the other site many years ago they actually had a fluidampr rep/engineer log in and address questions like these. IIRC, it was right around the time they introduced the Fluidampr for the 6.5TD. The gear drive was another area where there were a lot misconceptions and the engineer shed a bunch of light on that subject, and how the two worked together.

I'm amazed that the same discussions with the same claims are still being made after all these years. There is a track record now of at least 10 years since they began building them for the 6.5TD. You would think you would have heard of someone somewhere showing a failed FD on youtube or posting somewhere how the fluidampr destroyed his 6.5TD.

Maybe they are out there but I have not seen any.

I never quoted anyone saying that fluid damper was bad or would ruin the motor. I also only have ONE horse in this race if you want to call it that. I am just looking to spend the money needed to get me back into a position so the dampner will run for another 200K trouble free miles like the OEM one has, nothing more nothing less. I also would like to purchase the one that will do this for the least cost...nothing more nothing less seems simple enough to me?

I can only comment on what I've been told by very reputable people and my own experience with the product.
I am not condemning anything just adding a comment.

I never quoted anyone saying that fluid damper was bad or would ruin the motor. I also only have ONE horse in this race if you want to call it that. I am just looking to spend the money needed to get me back into a position so the dampner will run for another 200K trouble free miles like the OEM one has, nothing more nothing less. I also would like to purchase the one that will do this for the least cost...nothing more nothing less seems simple enough to me?

It sounds like you should buy an OEM damper, drive it for 100,00k then buy another OEM damper and then be done with it. It's not like the FD will make your truck stronger or faster. It is my opinion you would be happier spending the residual $320 on something that will.

The FD is like that $1500 amp that only the buyer tell the difference listening to it. Some will buy the FD it because they appreciate the technical uniqueness of the product. Some wil buy it because they like the best equipment money can buy and some will buy it because they believe the claims made by the manufacturer will directly benefit them (i.e., they have a specific want that they believe the mfgr's product will address).

My point was directed at the 2nd post of a new member that brought up points that have been discussed at length for over 10 years. These are the same claims made over and over without supporting evidence (at least I have not seen any). As I said, if these claims are true, I'd like to see them.

For example, to prove the gel inside a FD hardens over time you would have to cut open a new one and compare it to the gel inside a FD that's been in service for a specific amount of time. I'm sure not too many normal people are going to drop $1000 on this kind of testing.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

I can only comment on what I've been told by very reputable people and my own experience with the product.
I am not condemning anything just adding a comment.

From your own experience, what failure modes have you seen with the product? (IE: catastrophic failure, harmonics, etc)

What application? (ie: 6.5, 350, 454, etc)

What usage? (ie: daily driver, circle track, drag, etc)

What negative effects? (IE: broken parts, harmonics, etc)

You hear a fair bit about the "positives" on a fluidampr, I'd like to hear the negatives....other than price.

from my own experience I have seen broken crank snouts and cracked main caps and main webs in circle track racing engines. even a broken cam.(harmonics imho)BTW these were all balanced rotating assemblies with strict quality control.
granted racing engines are prone to failure due to the extremes they run in. and some failures are caused by other factors including assembly faults and other faulty parts.
cid have been sbc's from 331-383.
the common link to these engines operated at different levels of power though was the fluidamper.
if you refer back to my original post you might notice that I said the fluidamper was originally intended for the low rpm diesel market and may be perfectly suited to that job.

from my own experience I have seen broken crank snouts and cracked main caps and main webs in circle track racing engines. even a broken cam.(harmonics imho)BTW these were all balanced rotating assemblies with strict quality control.
granted racing engines are prone to failure due to the extremes they run in. and some failures are caused by other factors including assembly faults and other faulty parts.
cid have been sbc's from 331-383.
the common link to these engines operated at different levels of power though was the fluidamper.
if you refer back to my original post you might notice that I said the fluidamper was originally intended for the low rpm diesel market and may be perfectly suited to that job.

Hell, the 6.5 has all those issues without a fluidampr.....:rolleyes5:

I ordered a Fluidampr last night with some other goodies from Summit.

The Dorman replacements are trash IMO.

We will see.

I think the Fluidampr is extremely pricey for what it is though. It better be better than sliced bread or it will get a poor review from me.

I ordered a Fluidampr last night with some other goodies from Summit.

The Dorman replacements are trash IMO.

We will see.

I think the Fluidampr is extremely pricey for what it is though. It better be better than sliced bread or it will get a poor review from me.

Yes, please report back on the differences between the stock damper and the fluidampr once installed.

I'm considering biting into that sandwich, but would like and idea of how it tastes first.......sugar or sh........):h

Last edited:
Wow. Too much coin for this poor schmuck. Just ordered a new a/c delco HB. Old one did the job for 340,000 miles. I think a new stocker will be just fine.

Wow. Too much coin for this poor schmuck. Just ordered a new a/c delco HB. Old one did the job for 340,000 miles. I think a new stocker will be just fine.

I agree totally & that is how I'm looking at it.

My dilemma is what name brand is a good quality replacemnt anymore? The majority of the AC Delco name brand parts look to be very cheaply made...so the question comes to this, what replacement is the equivalent to the OEM one is it AC Delco, Dorman or :confused:

Doesn't really tell you much except they got the alt belt tension better after the install....

The takeaway that I had was the noticeable change in idle quality and pitch. Of course, we don't now if they changed anything else during the swap.

You could say that, but the video is spliced and you don't know if it's a diffrent positon, closer, further, zoomed, etc...

True.

I do think he did a good job reproducing the exact camera angle. Not sure about his sound setup (if it is external or captured from the camera itself). Some are not going to believe the clip or think the clip was doctored to show or not show something. I don't know. Nothing wrong with being skeptical I guess.

But, given that, there is enough there to tell the engine runs differently in the before and after clips, which is what I thought was interesting about the clip.

Any of you helo guys out there that work with accelerometer vib tests on tail rotor drive shafts know what kind of vibration the hanger bearings on the huey had. The blackhawks have viscous dampers and the vib levels are minute compared to the old hanger bearings. Not only that I can tell you from experience that viscous dampers last a very long time. Desert, arctic, humid. I've had them in all conditions. It's funny I stumbled upon this thread today, because I just bought a fluidamper this morning too. I will be happy to report my findings on everything. Wish I had a video camera so I could give you guys unbiased info. I hope they last as long as the aircraft dampers. I have one aircraft that has 11000 hours on it and the dampers can still be seen through.

Back