• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fluidampr First Impressions

fallout

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the fluidampr that I had bought several months ago. Initially I was impressed but ran into some issues. Several claims have been made about them including a quieter smoother running engine. Eyes and ears can be deceiving so I figured I would borrow a decibel meter to find out if the engine is actually quieter. More on that below.

I had read other posts where people had some issues with the Damper being loose on install. Mine was compeletely opposite. It was a bear to get started and once I did it took some force to tighten it down with the Damper installer. I have replaced many Factory dampers and never have I found one that was as tight as this one was.

Second After I finally got it installed and was putting the Crank pulley on I ran into two issues with the Bolt holes in the damper. First one of the holes was not tapped deep enough into the balancer and would get to about 3/8 of an inch from being tight before it stopped. Second was a hole that had threads which were not cut well. The threads were there but it looked as if when they were cutting them they were using a dull bit. You could not thread the bolt in more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn before it started binding in the hole.

The other two pulley bolt holes were also tight but the bolt would thread all the way down with a little effort..

First problem I cut about 1/2 inch off the bolt and it allowed it to seat deep enough into the damper with enough threads engaged to hold it.

Luckily I had a m10x1.5 tap from my turbo retrofit and I chased the three good holes and cleaned up the threads in them. The bad hole took about 10 minutes to cut standing on a latter leaning into the engine bay. After tapping everything was able to be threaded in like it should and I torqued them down.

Now as to the claim that the motor is quieter with a fluidampr.

To not skew the results I took several different readings from each side of the engine bay. I fully warmed up the motor before each test and then took the readings. To see what effect the accessories had on noise I took readings both with and without the belt on.

One note is that most will not have readings this loud I am waiting on an exhaust flange for my hx35w so for now it is just dumping into the engine bay. I have no doubt that the readings will be less once I have a functioning downpipe as the readings on the passenger side where the turbo is are about 3 decibels higher than the driver's side.

Factory Damper HPCA Activated Cold Motor Passenger Side 99 Decibels : Driver's Side 97-98 Decibels
Factory Damper Fully Warmed motor HPCA Deactivated Passenger Side 97 Decibels : Drivers Side 94 Decibels
Factory Damper Warm Motor No Belt (Accessories) Passenger side 96 Decibels : Driver's Side 93 Decibels

Fluidampr Fully Warmed Motor No HPCA Passenger Side 96-97 Decibels : Drivers Side 93-94 Decibels
Fluidampr Fully Warmed Motor No Belt (Accessories) Passenger Side 96 Decibels : Drivers Side 92-93 Decibels

So there is about a .5 decibel reduction. Once I have a functioning downpipe I will retake the readings as The ambient noise from the exhaust is skewing the readings making them higher than they would normally be. .5 is barely discernable at that Ambient noise level (90+). So Its hard to say if its the placebo effect that some people are hearing. I will say that it did quiet down my gear drive, It no longer has a metallic sound to it. In fact I cant here it over the diesel rattle now.

I also compared the weight of the two dampers. The stock long snout damper for the Non-electronic motors weighed in at 12.8 lbs. The fluidampr on the other hand weighed in at 18 lbs with the non-electronic spacer for the crank.

There is no Timing notch on my damper however it is scribed with degrees. Those with a Lumy Mag style timing meter will be SOL (Me and my now somewhat useless Snapon MT480) with this damper unless you wish to install your factory damper to time then replace with the fluidampr. This is the latest style I got from PMD Cables Group buy back over the summer. It came fresh from the factory this way. So they evidently redesigned them as some of the older Fluidamprs have the Timing notch.

I cant really comment on acceleration improvements since I dont want to be dumping 800-1000 degree exhaust in my engine compartment. Gonna be a couple weeks yet before I can drive it. Ill update once I get some more readings with the exhaust on.

Would I buy it again...... Yes, however for 400+ for this thing I would expect the quality control to be better. I have seen these in action on Race motors and am a believer in their benefits. At 18 lbs it is almost 50 percent heavier than the factory damper which probably has alot to do with it and i am also a believer in dynamic balancing after playing around with a wheel balancer at a friends shop. So to each his own.

100_3943.jpg100_3949.jpg100_3945.jpg100_3940.jpg100_3953.jpg

Nice work. If the exh. noise could be eliminated then a true reading with the different dampers could be read.

You're getting way too scientific..:D

Just be thankful that the fluidampr will be the last HB you will buy.

For the price I would be pretty pissed off about the tapped holes. That is really unacceptable and if you take the pulley off at a later date then you have to remember where the short bolt goes.

Short bolt is a balance issue of it's own...

I agree, Was getting frustrated so just decided to make it work, I will probably end up running down to Fastenal and pick up 4 equal length bolts, I was hoping to have my exhaust flange in and wanted it in driveable condition to test the turbo out. But looks like its gonna be this weekend before I get to jack with it anymore since I have to work the rest of the week.

For the price I would be pretty pissed off about the tapped holes. That is really unacceptable and if you take the pulley off at a later date then you have to remember where the short bolt goes.

I was mad but was able to make it work without to much fuss, and it is how it was supposed to be now. The Short bolt issue should be remedied by buying 4 equal length shorter bolts so I wont have to worry about it. My bolts may be longer than the original factory bolts are, I dont have any to compare to. The bolts came with my Milsurp 6.5 motors and there was a spacer between the balancer and crank pulley to align to the late model humvees Serpentine accessories. The spacer isnt needed with the standard 6.5 accessories. So this may not be an issue for most if indeed there is a difference in the stock 6.5 pulley bolts and the milsurp ones.

Sadly I have come to expect to run into issues with any type of automotive work I do even with brand new expensive parts. Basically nothing on my truck is original or being used in its intended application, so sometimes at least for me it is just easier to make it work.

Thanks for sharing. I have done just a bit of sound testing and its a bitch. I wouldn't want to argue a 3 decibel number measured difference depending. To me its more a quality of sound ie frequency. Some are much more irriatating with lower decibel if its at an irritating frequency. I tried measuring different accoustic foam lined enclosures around a Kubota diesel engine and quantitatively (Decibel number) it was hard to show differences. With your ear some foams worked better than others with similar Decibel numbers.

The fact that the gear drive rattle is gone to me means something and may change quality of sound even if you can't measure it. How do you think it sounds to your ear if you can tell. I don't have good memory to my ears so its hard doing some ear testing unless appreciable to significant change (and short time between sensing and without getting desensitised).

Wow... When I installed mine I had NO problems with the installation.....though I did have to RMA one due to powder coat issues.

For that kind of $ it should be right!

I am planning on putting one on a new P400 and if it does not have a timing notch and all good threads it will be returned and I am going to make that clear to the seller thanks to this thread!
Thanks fallout!

It was a bear to get started and once I did it took some force to tighten it down with the Damper installer. I have replaced many Factory dampers and never have I found one that was as tight as this one was.

I agree!

When I installed mine I had NO problems with the installation

And I agree.

Kind of a pain in your situation, but once installed I think it is worth it. Cry once on the price and forget about it.

Back