• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fluid leaking out of rear ground bolt!!! HELP ASAP PLS!!

mgray

Reaction score
Changing the oil, and figured I should finally clean the last of my grounds. With a chain of extensions and a u joint I got the bottom frame bolt off.

Now for the engine bolt. I removed the top nut holding the tranny filler tube bracket and removed the bracket. Then tried to remove the nut on top of the ground connection and noticed the whole bolt twisting! At the same time, all the crud around the base of the bolt started to get saturated and I noticed that fluid is seeping out of the bottom of the bolt. Seeing as this is in the head, I'm kinda worried. Is this normal?

Also how do I remove the nuts without twisting the whole bolt?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00117 (Large).jpg
    DSC00117 (Large).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 41
It's completely normal. It is coolant leaking out from behind the block off plate. Put a wrench on the hex below the ground strap and remove the upper nut. That way you can clean the grunge off without loosing some coolant.

The problem was that there wasn't enough room for a wrench to get to the bottom nut, so I ended up having to remove the whole bolt. Problem now is that I broke the connector for these two wires that were attached. Not the big braided ground, but these 2 wires coming out of the wiring harness.

What are they for, and can I just solder them back or should I get a new O connector?

Also, I had to move the tranny filler tube quite a bit to get it's bracket away from the bolt, it was stiff, but now is pretty lose, did I brake something?

Attachments

• DSC00119 (Large).jpg
    DSC00119 (Large).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 21
You can just crimp a new terminal onto the wires.Just make sure you have at least a 1/4 inch of insulation stripped off the wire before you crimp it on. Odds are all you did was loosen some of the crud around the tranny dipstick tube where it enters the tranny. ZIf its not leaking your ok. They only have an o-ring seal where they enter the tranny. If it is leaking pull it out and replace the o-ring. Simple fix.

Yes, to everything mentioned.

That bolt is just a PITA. Once cleaned up though you will not have to mess with it for a long time :)

Yes, to everything mentioned.

That bolt is just a PITA. Once cleaned up though you will not have to mess with it for a long time :)

A PITA for sure, but not as bad as that firewall bolt unnder the coolant hose. That one seems like a huge PITA! I think the coolant line has to come off to get to that one.

My truck was set up like that as well, grounded on that coolant plate. I moved mine to the intake stud/bolt just ahead of it. I saw some pics of where the grounds were supposed to be, thats why I moved it there. Pic is hard to interpret, up to you I guess.

Attachments

• grounds.jpg
    grounds.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
A PITA for sure, but not as bad as that firewall bolt unnder the coolant hose. That one seems like a huge PITA! I think the coolant line has to come off to get to that one.

The easiest way to get the firewall ground and frame ground is to pull the PS wheel well. You might be able to reach up from the bottom if you are skinny with long arms.

The ground under the coolant lines can be done w/o removing the inner fender... But it is a major PITA. You need a swivel head recheting wrench and long skinny arms. And do not mind some scratches.

... Just pull the inner fender.

Back