• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

flickering dash lights? ign switch?

J.Peart

Reaction score
So i got the new motor in my truck and its running good but im having and odd problem with my dash lights.

truck starts up and drives fine, but while driving the dash lights turn on and off randomly. i dont mean the back lights, i mean the check engine light, airbag light, parking brake light, transmission gear indicator, etc. its like when you first turn the truck on and it tests the lights.

voltage is fine, truck doesn't stall or stumble. these lights just turn on and off completely randomly. im going to check for codes later but I'm not even sure there are any.

Ign switch going or what?

I wouldn't think that it would be your ignition switch. Seems like if it was the switch, the engine would stumble too when it happens. It would be like turning the key off, which would shut the engine off and then turning the key back on. Even if this off and back on cycle took half a second, seems like you would feel the engine stumble or something.

Maybe a loose connector going into the back of your guage cluster?

I'll check the connections as you suggest, but:

Would a loose connector cause those extra lights to come on? As i said it seems like its testing the lights like when you start up. Does the dash have the circuitry to test the lights upon power on, or does the ecm do it? also i have heard the blinking transmission indicator is a ign switch symptom, but no mention of the other lights.

hopefully it is just a loose connection

Yes i reinstalled the engine grounds. I'm going go check them in a bit anyways though, just got home from work so i'm waiting for the engine to cool down a bit.

checked grounds. undid the ones at the rear passenger side head. were clean. put them back together with a copper based anti-seize compound (lists electronic contacts in uses.)

recently cleaned the frame ones, but ill check them again tomorrow.

checked fuses in engine bay. couple of the big ones(ign a and b i think) were somewhat corroded. i cleaned the contacts.

after doing this the SES light stays on. 2 codes:

code 29-glow plug circuit fault (can't see any shortsupon first inspection, but will have to look closer tomorrow. also my manual switch works without blowing any fuses.)

code 41- brake switch circuit fault (which i believe i had at one time before)

transmission indicator doesn't come on at all anymore. though it does light up when i turn the key to 'run' once i actually start the motor it turns off.

also flickering lights don't come on any more. the only light that comes on besides the SES now is the airbag light which is always on now.... and the abs light doesn't come on- this is odd because the fuse is pulled!\

truck still drives great.

Back