• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

flat panel air filter

tireguy

Reaction score
Hey guys how bad is my flat panel air filter setup i am have pretty much everything performance/towing exept this is stock.
I would love to change it but am tired of spending money right now and want some opinions.
Would i help myself by putting in a S&B or K&N??

As far as flow, you would gain by going to a cone style K&N style. But....there's always a BUT..... You would lose overall because you would be sucking in the hot air from under the hood and especially hot air from the area around the turbo. IAT's go up, EGT's go up.

The S&B / new heath style is a good mix of cool air from the fender while also giving you a bigger and better flowing filter. The K47 factory box, with a free flowing filter installed, is also a much better/more popular upgrade as compared to the flat panel filter that you have now.

My advice..... You're better off with the flat panel filter than any open cone filter laying on the inner fender and sucking hot air. Ride with what you have until you have the money saved for the S&B/new Heath setup (around $285) or keep an eye open at the junkyards for a factory K47 air box. Either of those setups will hook up to the fender and draw cooler air from the grille area.

I am in the same shoes as you really...... Turbomaster, Heath chip, 4" exhaust, huge LP, FTB mod, etc etc and I still have the factory flat panel filter too.

If youre pushing more than stock boost, or have spooling or EGT issues, the K47 update would help a lot. The K47 and a dry Amsoil nanofiber filter come in quite a bit less cost than the new S&B oiled filter setup. For something towing a big trailer/camper it would be quite beneficial.

Hey thanks for now guys. What do u all run for iat on a 102degree day pulling? i was runing a pretty consistent 300 the other day

run your own down under the bumper be an innovator

To do this you would have to move the passenger side battery. There is just not enough room to put a filter under there with out a lot of re-work of the battery tray brackets.

It would also take some testing on how much cold air gets into that area.

Wish I had time and money to do it! :thumbsup:

K&N - well just remove the air filter and save the $$. The K&N lets so much dirt by you can do without any filter and not notice. Many better aftermarket filters out there including the factory paper.

X2 on the above advice on avoiding hot under hood air.

Ditch the flat box for the factory round style filter box (K47 opt). Theyer the best settup for the money. Drop in a high flow filter and i think you will be very happy. A forum search will turn up alot of information on this upgrade. If you are looking for the box they were used on 97' and up trucks equiped with the 6.5

Back