• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Flapper in brake hose

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this in recent years (past 20 years or so)? I've replaced brake hoses in the past, hoping to remedy a believed "flapper" issue, but it's never been the solution. Is the "flapper" just a myth, or do they really exist, at times?

Seen a flap once and an interior piece broke off and plug a Wheel cylinder port once. Early 80’s rigs.

I would call it very rare, but it happens. Newer hoses don’t seem to be as bad.

Just replaced the calipers on the front of my '01 2500HD and hitting the brakes is still squirley. I am considering doing the same with the rears, just to eliminate, but figured I'd ask, since a hose is less money than calipers, rotors and pads.

You might try flushing the hydro boost and PS system. Look in the DIY section.
Assuming your 01 is a Dmax...

Sci-Fi has to be plausible, the truth does not.

IMO you need to look at the symptoms and not "throw parts at the brake system" like you are now. The trouble description is vague so merly consider the possibilities.

For example squirrelly... All over the road or vibration? Brakes pull or vibrate. Maybe hang and continue to pull the other way when you step off the pedal. Rears not working at all can overload the front and act like you may describe.

So rotate the tires and then rotate side to side to see if you have radial pull from a bad tire. They are all LT or same rating? Yeah had a P passinger tire mounted by mistake at tire shop. The fix was double down and put on two P tires on a 3/4 ton burb. That drunk simulation only went around the block! Left with 4 LT's that day.

Worn front end parts including bad shocks. A broken leaf is plausable. Bad alignment.

When you hit the brakes the vehicle rolls weight to the front and everything changes showing worn parts.

I put new calipers on the front due to one hanging up on me. It happened at the beginning of fair week and there was no time to tear down, so I drove all week with it holding tight. This, in turn, warped the rotor. Pads were shot, already. All those parts were getting changed, regardless of this issue. I was merely making the point that I have what I believe to be well functioning parts on the front end, with exception of the possible hose. I am trying to avoid throwing parts at it, which is why I'm asking.

I should have described the term better. What I mean is that when I apply the brakes in a normal fashion, I don't notice much unusual movement at all. When I apply them quickly, such as for an emergency stop, the truck pulls to the right, but I don't notice significant movement in the steering wheel. Almost as if it is swinging from the rear, not turning. When I get off the pedal, it stops pulling and does not pull back the other way. No brake vibrations - smooth stopping, aside from pulling.

Tires are new, all same rating and shocks are probably the originals, so they're getting replaced soon. It was aligned this spring and still drives straight down the road. The issue only occurs when brakes are hit suddenly.

Actually, I didn't go into more detail, just because I thought it belonged in a different thread with another subject line. I was asking about the flapper situation because I've heard of it happening, but haven't, personally, experienced it as far as I know. I wondered if it was something that really occurs.

I had a flapper issue with a brake hose on My 78 MG-B Roadster, rebuilt calipers, new pads and it still pulled right. Replaced both front brake hoses and problem solved.

Yeah, no context. So I wasn't intending to come down hard on you.

I fought something like that forever. Found a rim wider than the other 3, slider pins on the caliper bolts although new were slightly different diameter all causing a pull stopping hard. Then got into the rear brakes. And found out after it all the tire shop didn't swap out the wider rim to the spare like they were supposed to. I drilled a hole in the rim to get it out of my hair for good.

Back