• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First off-road park experience

Rttoys

Recruit
Reaction score
Well, for our 6th wedding anniversary we (actually it was her idea ) decided to go to an off-road park and play on the quads. Scoped out a few parks, consulted with a Jeep friend of mine and ended up picking one in Gilmer, TX http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/ First off, because the weather was questionable at best, we had the entire park to ourselves. Great, for learning how to do this stuff, bad if we get lost or hurt. She is very green on the quads, only rode a few times on our family farm, so this was a totaly new experiance on her end. Me, I've been rideing since birth, but the terrain at the farm is mostly flat and muddy, not hilly and rocks. So there was a big learning curve for me too.

Trails were well marked, but I would really like to meet the guy who designated their diffeculty and kick him square in the nuts, because nothing was as hard or easy as the sign said. It was all hit or miss and usually by the time you were knee deep in a trail turning around was not an option.:boxing_smiley:

Anyways, we traded riding both quads (Yamaha Grizzly 660 and Arctic Cat 400) and really found that the AC was much easier to handle and control over the Grizz, when going over rocks and ruts. Kind of like the difference between a Jeep and a pickup. Pickup will power through and the Jeep just floats over. If mud was involved the Grizz won hands down. By the time the weekend was over, I think a few mods to the AC could realy make that thig into a monster.

I know we will be going back, it was a hell of a good time

Well, I know ya'll want pics, so here they are:

Attachments

• P4250008.jpg
    P4250008.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 16
  • P4250015.jpg
    P4250015.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 20
  • P4250034.jpg
    P4250034.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like you had a good trip!! My son and have been out 2 times so far this year, hope to make it 3 tomorrow. He was a bit gun shy on the first time out this year, since on the last trip last year he had to drag me 2-3 miles out after I crashed a busted my collar bone in a few pieces. Still got the plate and seven screws too:lol:.

Last edited:
Woof, that's what we were trying to avoid:yikes: We played it safe the whole time.....well, I got a little dareing after a while and almost flipped the Grizz a couple of times going up some rocks:biggrinjester:

Mine was really stupid, there were 2 choices on this trail to go up a hill. I had done one twice so I decided to take #2. Didn't have enough momentum and ran out of steam about 3/4 of the way up. Thats when I realized how steep it was, as I proceeded to go backwards down the hill. Picked way to much speed and lost it, it pitched sideways and threw me off. In the end I was lucky the quad came crashing down and landed a couple feet from. Lesson .... an almost 40 yr old (then) doesn't need to ride aggressive on a sport quad. Solution....Sell sport quad, buy 4wd utility quad, play in mud:thumbsup:.

Lesson .... an almost 40 yr old (then) doesn't need to ride aggressive on a sport quad. Solution....Sell sport quad, buy 4wd utility quad, play in mud:thumbsup:.

Yep, both of mine are 4x4, wouldn't have it any other way around here.:thumbsup:

How do you like that Grizz? Any problems so far? That was my second choice after the Rincon.

Had it for 6ish years now, other than my dad putput'n around the farm on it and loading up the plug, it's been flawless. It's been through a few roll-overs:crazy:, kick it back over and start'er up......bend the rack, bars and gun rack back into place once I get it home...):h and it's good.

It'll do 60ish in a heartbeat and smooth as can be even on rough terrain. The new one's are 700cc fuel injected WITH power steering:yikes: I can only imagine how much more powerfull those are compaired to my old 660cc.:hurray:

looks like you had a blast!! one thing you can do is look for a local group that rides that area, and form a coalition to fend off the land grabbers like the sierra club and the Center For Biological diversity....we are having hella problems with those bitches taking our riding areas here in Ca, using less than stellar tactics

good luck

Back