• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Firewall insulation

Goose57

Reaction score
Hi all, what is everybody using for firewall insulation? I gave up on finding an OEM replacement.
I wanted to check before install my engine. Or should I not even worry about about it.
I imagine these motors put out more heat than gassers. I also have the dash out for repairs and there is also an intact insulation barrier on the interior fire wall. ThanksIMG_0212.jpegIMG_0213.jpeg

Yes, I was thinking about doing that. Did you notice anymore noise or heat inside the cab without the insulation? On the other site it was mentioned that gassers get a lot hotter than our diesels. I thought it was the other way around. Thanks.

you can always use the spray on lizard skin insulation or some dyna-mat sound deadning. I personally would go with something spray on even a smooth textured bed liner just to coat things.

Someone in here used some kind of a heat/sound barrier material.
I cant remember what kind of a material it was.
IIIRC it had a sticky back and after they had finished it looked mighty fine.
Maybe someone knows where to find that thread.
Seems it was like an entire rebuild thread with quite a few pages.

My opinion, If you’re doing the cab side of the fire wall, stick with that and paint or leave the engine bay alone.

In 2011 I put on adhesive backed sound deadening material (RaaMat) only it has an aluminum finish vs. black. Thinner than Dynamat (sp) and denser. I first placed it inside against the firewall when I had the carpet out.
Later on I placed the same material inside the engine bay. In hindsight, it was a waste of money and time as there was no noticeable sound difference.
RaamAudio has been out of business for a few years now however, the product is holding up.
Only down side is aesthetically it looks unfinished. I did get some of their black padded heat resistant material to go over it but, with the engine in the hole, I’ve lost the agility and willingness to do the physical gymnastics to try to negotiate the task.
IMG_0114.jpeg

I wonder how it helps with heat going into the cab. I know there is a compartment up where the wiper arm linkage is but I don't know how deep it goes into the area between the firewall and cab.

My opinion, If you’re doing the cab side of the fire wall, stick with that and paint or leave the engine bay alone.

In 2011 I put on adhesive backed sound deadening material (RaaMat) only it has an aluminum finish vs. black. Thinner than Dynamat (sp) and denser. I first placed it inside against the firewall when I had the carpet out.
Later on I placed the same material inside the engine bay. In hindsight, it was a waste of money and time as there was no noticeable sound difference.
RaamAudio has been out of business for a few years now however, the product is holding up.
Only down side is aesthetically it looks unfinished. I did get some of their black padded heat resistant material to go over it but, with the engine in the hole, I’ve lost the agility and willingness to do the physical gymnastics to try to negotiate the task.
View attachment 84880
This was the thread I was thinking of.
As @dbrannon79 ased, do You think it helps with heat ?
I did read some reviews on that Lizard Skin stuff, somesaid to save the money. Not worth painting it on.

Thanks guys, the firewall inside the cab has the factory insulation still intact. I think if I do anything on the engine bay side it will be thin not like the factory stuff that was on there. I do need help sourcing the grey 2 1/2” thin foam tape that goes on top of the firewall inside the cab that the dash sets on. As you can see my dash is a mess. Pray for me to getting it to look half way decent 🙏🏻. I plan on using one of those after market glue on dash tops. Thanks again.IMG_0214.jpegThanks again.IMG_0213.jpeg

This was the thread I was thinking of.
As @dbrannon79 ased, do You think it helps with heat ?
I did read some reviews on that Lizard Skin stuff, somesaid to save the money. Not worth painting it on.
Heat help...not. Its a sound deadener, not insulation so, no help with keeping heat out. Once it gets warm, like any surface, it'll start transferring heat to the next surface. I think the real issue with heat inside the cab comes from the Heater Core setting right under the glove box circulating hot coolant anytime the engine is running unless the owner has installed a cut off valve.

Heat help...not. Its a sound deadener, not insulation so, no help with keeping heat out. Once it gets warm, like any surface, it'll start transferring heat to the next surface. I think the real issue with heat inside the cab comes from the Heater Core setting right under the glove box circulating hot coolant anytime the engine is running unless the owner has installed a cut off valve.
I had more than one old truck that had the heat controlled by a choke cable and a ball Valve

Page 14 shows what I did if that's what you're looking for - see signature line for the link. I got the information on the materials from N8.

Back