• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally getting around to figuring out my clutch problem

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
I parked my 93 after a trans overhaul because of the clutch stopped working.

The problem is, when I press the clutch it had no pressure and the truck didn't even try to stop pulling. Is the clutch itself bad or master cylinder or???

93 GMC btw

Sent from: Source Unknown

Well I am finally in the position to order parts. Who makes the best clutch, master, and slave?

Clutches:

Southbend but I have heard they just relable LUK
Luk seems to have a good track record

Master:

Heard some are made of plastic and very failure prone. Any info?

Slave:

AC Delco is as good as anything here I assume?

Thanks!

Maybe you missed the fork dimple with the slave plunger when installing the slave.
Something like in the haste slipping it in the wrong hole.lol

Lol good metaphor but I havent had is apart yet. I robbed all the parts to rebuild off my 94 and kept limping the 93 around for minor transportation between fields. Its honestly been running off of dyed diesel in a 150 gal tank on the bed for nearly 2yrs w/o refilling it.

When I had my trans rebuilt by http://www.alltransparts dot com/ I bought the slave and master through them. They suggested LuK parts and gave me a pkg deal. But I doubt LuK actually made the master and slave. Rockauto doesn't list them as an option on a '93. I think they are all plastic or composite now. At this age AC DELCO has been made by probably many on a bid baises /contract service part. So pick your poison as its been reverse engineered and spec'd by many and rebadged and repackaged probably by half the names in the business. With an actual AC Delco part and box you get better traceability and maybe another mediocre layer of QC in manufacturing / distribution but may or may not be the best quality. I'd probably buy anything but Dorman unless I held it in my hand and felt it.

By the way last time I did mine I bought a Raybestos slave from autozone as it looked/ felt better than the LuK one at the time best but did not see it offered this time. All the parts I got this time felt like OEM equivalent or better.

Take a look at this....

http://www.schaeffler-aftermarket.u...installationtips/clutch_installation_tips.jsp They even have a 6.5 truck in the picture of installation tips.

This is what my clutch and pressure plate looked like

http://catalog.schaeffler-aftermark...e=Chevrolet&model=K2500&year=1993&engine=6.5L

(pick the 2nd option solid flywheel version)

Maybe LuK does make the slave at least?

I will assume that alltrans uses a distributor like Schaeffler or deals with a Rep for LuK but seemed to be happy with them. Alltrans seems to be a decent sized transmission rebuilder and had lots of parts and pieces out back.

What other brands are you considering Valeo, Hays, Perfection Clutch, RAM are there any others?

Back