• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Filters

Marshrat

Reaction score
How often do you change your fuel filters? I have been getting a message "change fuel filter" about every 15000 miles. Is that normal??

Warren

How often do you change your fuel filters? I have been getting a message "change fuel filter" about every 15000 miles. Is that normal??

Warren

I change every 10K. Some change every other oil change, and some every oil change. Depends on how you feel about the situation..

I'm not sure what GM recommends, but, I feel pretty safe at 10K.

The GM computer has no idea how plugged the filter might be; it is set to 15,000 miles from the last time the counter was reset. I generally go around 10,000 miles. I've been cutting open the used filters and generally they've been about 50% to 75% used up.

Of course, one tank of bad fuel can plug it up in just a few miles, so can cold weather gelling. I wish they had a sight glass to see how used up the filter is.

The projected life of the stock fuel filter on the duramax is 15k. I change mine every 10k, thats every other oil change for me. I used to change my filter every 15k then i started having shifting issues at WOT due to fuel restrictions so i started changing it every 10k.

15000 is the max that id go. Its what Gm reccomends but with crappy fuel and biodiesel blends these days 10K is a safer way to go.

i go 15k and further, in my area we are not cold ever and not high in altitude but i keep it sane and change it between 15k and 20k. cheap insurance

I do every other oil change becouse I have a LB7 and cant afford dirty fuel harming the already famous injectors.

Thats another good point ct.

Use a GOOD filter. Some of the cheaper ones dont do a good job. Ive always been told to stay away from Fram. And they arent a cheap filter.

Mine are Purolators. I get a tax break on it cause its for our "tractor".

IMHO, Wix are good too for fuel filters. I get mine from a local privately owned parts store, and he carries Wix. 62,000 problem free miles as far as fuel filters go. AC delco's are obviously good as well, and I completely agree with steering clear of Fram.

we had a fram coolant filter on one of our semis. Next thing you know we had to drop 13,000 to rebuild the motor due to electrolisis.

Once went about 11,500 miles on a fuel filter , but usually some where around 10,000 miles. I carry a spare fuel filter in the truck just in case something happens.

A new AC delco every 5k. When cut open they are usually about 50% used-up. I also change the oil and spin-on every 5k...I old and it's easy to remember...:rolleyes::D

15,000k for me. I have never "felt" a power reduction--ever. I cut them open and they just look like used filters to me.

I do every other oil change at 13 to 15k. They're always about 50 to 70% dirty but I've never seen a flow problem. I always have used Parker/Racor PFF5544. Of course I always carry a spare & tools in the tool box just in case...

Back