• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

filtering oil to burn

10000 miles on my Mercedes on wvo n no problem. Almost 10000 on my truck and no problem. Settle the oil for two months is the key n only pump off the top two thirds. I use blue jeans n then a house hold 10 micron filter then a 5 micron sock filter. Got three filters on the truck, thirty micron then 5 micron then the factory 5 micron. Change em every three thousand miles even tho the fuel pressure is still good. Never filter wvo with heat, cold filter by gravity eliminates the animal fat and a lot of glycerine.

Used Mercedes dealer n High Point Nc. Bought my Mercedes from him n he showed me his operation. Then I experimeted for a year with the Mercedes, they r almost indestructible.

I never studied into the wvo much as I have a limited supply. But I do run a 50% mix in wife's 96 passat tdi. We don't hafta fuel it up very often!
I usually filter it on sunny afternoons as it flows nicer then.
Thanx for sharing the tidbit on cold filtering. Much appreciated!

Is the Passant a direct injection? If so u cant run those very well on veggie. U need to do the biodiesel thing. U gotta pick the right vehicle to do veggie oil.

Yeah, it's direct injected. Up to 50% it does ok. I don't feel like messing with the tuning to run 100%. The veggie oil I get is liquid, so no need to heat it. And I only run it in the summer.

FYI, I built a processor for wvo or wmo. It consists of a 55 gallon drum that has the bottom cut off and a sheet metal cone welded on. It sits on 3 angle iron legs. At the bottom of the cone is a 3/4 inch pipe thread coupler and up about 10 inches on the cone is another 3/4 inch coupler. I took a 60 gallon per hour centrifuge and mounted it to the top of the barrel and have a gear drive pump that pulls the oil either from the bottom port or the higher one depending on my needs. I dillute the wvo about 10-20 percent with regular gas, then prefilter through screen and pour into a plastic cone shaped container that holds 15 gallons. On the bottom of this container I have a 100 mesh stainless steel screen in a housing with a drain on the bottom. The wvo goes from this container to a holding tank and then to the processor I made. I centrifuge the oil for about 4 hours or until the rotor comes out clean. This system works great, and I haven't plugged any filters in months.

For the wmo, I pump it into my processor, add some diesel or gas to the oil to thin it out and start centrifuging. Yesterday I did a 60 gallon batch and fuged it for about 8 hours and the result was very clean semi transparent oil. I cleaned the centrifuge about 5 times and finally it came out clean. The centrifuge also collects any water that might be in the oil, so it is important to clean it often. One word of caution, don't mix the processed wvo with wmo, it forms a laquer that will plug filters and create havok. I don't try and run these blends straight in my duramax, but I have run them between 10 and 50 percent with no issues.

I dont think i would do it any other way besides using a centrifuge myself. I have been reading some stuff about introducing air into WMO to get any water out of solution and reduce the nasty milky water oil mix at the bottom, aquerium aerators have been used with success.

I know my oil source has water (not from coolant) in the container and have been looking for ways to successfully use it. It also has hydralic fluid, gear oil, ATF and abunch of other stuff but IMO if i have 4,000 gallons sitting here and find a way to use it then its worth while.

The water will always settle to the bottom, so if you can keep from pumping from the bottom it shouldn't be an issue. With my processor, the bottom is a cone and any water will collect there and can be easily drained off. The centrifuge also removes small amounts of water from the oil. I am done with filters unless they are stainless steel mesh. The centrifuge works outstanding! The one I bought I got off of ebay for 99.00 from centrifuges for less. You need a gear style oil pump to push the oil through the centrifuge at about 80-100 psi. I have heard that some people modify power steering pumps for this. My wvo, I blend with about 20% gas then prefilter and then centrifuge. I am amazed at the amount of fine debris that comes out of the veg oil even though it looks clean after running it through the 100 mesh stainless filter. Since I have started centrifuging, I have yet to plug a fuel filter, even though I have several cases of filters on the shelf.

Do you use the larger open bowl style, or the small closed centrifuge?

Pics?

In my opinion, this is the only way to go..........-oh and one of those nice shiny $3 orange buckets of course........

Gravity feed filtration, -simple, effective, and inexpensive. The only pump I use is for "dispensing" the filtered oil into containers, simple, and cheap. I figure that if I have to fork out a bunch of $ to heat it, pump it, filter it, etc. -then it becomes counter-intuitive at that point. The whole concept is to save a few bucks, -so every extra dollar saved to filter stays in your wallet.

The issue with water is a simple one. Water has a higher specific gravity than oil, -letting it set in the orange bucket overnight allows the water to "settle" to the bottom. The diptube for my "dispense" pump is ziptied up so it never sucks junk off the bottom of the bucket, -problem solved....

Drain off the junk once in a while, -done deal.

Best bang for the buck in 1 micron filters right here...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=jnzucs

Image2.jpg

Back