• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Few Questions

swany211501

Reaction score
1- I cut the upper intake out the other day, cleaned all the soot out of it, put it all back together, as well, blocked my EGR with gaskets and a plate. When I opened it up, it was oily, really oily. How much residue should be in the intake? My turbo inlet is always wet as well as the intake hose. Is this normal? Is the CDR not functioning like it should be?

2- I got a bad bunch of fuel, loaded with water. My fault. Anyways, I was going to drop the tank because I had always planned on changing my supply and return lines trying to stop the air bubble problem I have. What size is the return line going to the tank. Is it necessary to change it?

3- Does anyone know what thread size the FFM bolts are? I was thinking of using all-thread rod and double nut the FFM so it was higher than the intake so I could eliminate the bends in the fuel line. I have a bunch of brass on the front for FTB and a pressure gauge and I was concerned about clearance under the intake. (Suggestions for moving it are always welcome)

Thanks for the help

Frank

1. Engine blow-by will really soggy up the intake.

2. 5/16"... The most critical section is the 3/8" supply line between the tank and lift pump inlet. However the fuel system should be sealed up tight. O-rings fail too.

3. 10x1.5 mm.

How critical is the 1/16" in hose size? Also, I read a Heath blog about the CDR valve. Mentions taking it off and cleaning it in diesel, kerosene, etc. I soaked it in diesel and while I was submersing it in the pail, the fluid rushed through it as if there wasn't even a valve there. Pooched? I could do the test, but I'm sure someone knows the answer to this. What's a new one worth anyways?

CDR is normally open so fluid would go right thru. Did you totally submerge it? If so you might have liquid on the wrong side of the valve. there is a pin hole on the back side

I cut my threaded rod to around 9.25 inches. That puts all the hoses nipple to slightly above the upper manifold.

JMJ, thanks saves me a bunch of time! AK, I totally put it in diesel, it's drying in the garage right now. I was going to spray it down with WD tomorrow and blow it out.

Anyone on the difference between 1/4 and 5/16 other than the 1/16 for return?

GM used 5/16" for the return fuel.

Are you asking if your roll of freebie 1/4" line will work? :)

I dunno...Try it....

Not freebie unfortunately, it was all the store had. Only 6 feet of 5/16 and rolls of 1/4. I didn't have patience to wait for a few days. If someone said don't do it, then I would have waited, no one answered so I just pulled the trigger. I mean, what the hell, I'm experienced in dropping a tank on a busy school street now lol.

1/4" worked fine. No noticable problems yet. 2 small leaks on account of me not putting on the o-rings right on the FFM. Other than that life is good. The lift pump I used is a 6-6.5 psi Stewart Warner. Holds a nice 3-4 lbs at idle and only drops 1 psi when you mash it. No mod is without grief. My out lines are directly inline with the EGR so I had to cut a small piece of angle bracket to turn it at an angle so I could clear the EGR and not bend the drain line. I suppose if I ditched my tee for just the barb fitting I would be ok, but I wanted my pressure gauge post filter. All in all something completed in a whole day no interuptions. I did 2 days 5-6 hours a day with breaks and I wasn't in a mad rush.

So far 3 days later, everything in all aspects are great. Hardly any noticeable smoke on start up. Visual blow by test performed with flying colors. My only problem right now is waiting for a tune. Hard on the throttle, defuel at around 130km.

The IP really likes inlet pressure of 7-9psi, thats post filter pressure. It would perform better that way and its actually in GM's training manuals that the IP inlet pressure should be 5.6-8.8psi or something like that for proper operation. It actually does make a difference for throttle response and might keep the IP components happier. A performance tune will bring your pressure lower under acceleration and loaded.

So I would recommned a higher pressure LP, even the stock ones are supposed to be 9psi. There is a stock fit Airtex LP that is rated for 14psi for like $55, if going for cheap and quick, otherwise the Walbro FRB5 is nice at 10psi.

Thanks for the insight Buddy. I might hook up my old lift pump, a 93 HD unit, and see if it was actually plugged or the ail holes were making a problem with pressure. I haven't had it long, so I can get warranty on it. But if all else fails, I'll look at a walbros for sure.

Back