• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fender rusted through from inside

coachjpg

Reaction score
I'm in "stop the rust" mode. The truck needs to be painted, but mechanical issues take priority for now. So I'm wire-brushing rust and loose paint, and painting them with rust converter and rustoleum. The mirror bolt holes rusted, so I tore the driver-side door apart and fixed that. I need to do the same to the passenger side.

When grinding the rust off the fenders, I noticed some areas where the paint had bubbled. I ground off these bubbles, and found that the metal had rusted through from the other side. Grinding away the paint and rust, I went through to another layer of metal. I'm dubious as to my ability to treat the rust between layers of metal on the inside of the fender.

FenderRust.jpg

So what do I do? Replace the fenders? If so, do I use steel or fiberglass? I found some "cut-away" fender flares that would require cutting away the rusted areas. Or do I fix the fenders I have? If so, is there a way to get at the rust in between the sandwiched layers of metal? I hate to "putty over" rust.

Is there another site I should go to for body work questions like this?

Thanks,
-jpg
pencil.png

Dude just start buying parts.

Once you see the rust, IT'S TOO LATE.

As for new parts, protecting them, the choices get varied. The best way to keep them from rusting is to not drive them in the rain and salt/snow. Yeah right, huh?

Call me crazy, but in the old metal (no galvanizing) I spray used motor oil into the doors, fenders, bedsides or anywhere there is a 'pinch weld'. Messy, yes. Works, yes.

Cutting away the rusted area to install flares sounds like the best option to me.I wouldnt try and repair that spot with any product and expect it to last.

Back