• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fender Flares. Or Lack Thereof

shortcircut65

LT OFD N-49
Reaction score
anybody know anybody who needs/wants a set of fender flares for a GMT800 body? granted, this isnt really the thread to advertise that, for this is where i tell you, and upload pictures later, about what i found, when i took my flares off.

it started a while back, when i got the idea to take off my flares, and line-x, or rhino line, or something of that nature. at that same time, i had the idea to do the same to the inside of my rockers, because they were worn down to metal, because of where my boot always hit getting in and out. the only problem, was i didnt have the time, or place to do it. well, i just so happend to be doing a head gasket job on it just a few short weeks ago, in my uncles 40x70 garage. now i had time, and place. once i had the heads off and at the machine shop, the work began.

first thing, was when i finally gave it 2 really good washings just before it went in, i noticed the bottom of the body was all scraped and chiped quite nicely. so my decision was made,do the whole thing from the body line down, and where the flares were. so i taped it all off, above the flares, the body line, inside the doors, tailgate, all the good spots. then came the removal of the flares. :eek::eek::eek: now i know the real reason as to why i did this job! when i took off the left front, i had a pile of dirt 10" around that fell out of it! and behind the entire thing, the paint was pitted. the paint was the same way behind every other one, but hardly any dirt in the rears.

now it is sanding time! thankfully, he had an air palm sander with 60 grit paper in the garage. that made life that much easier. inside the doors, i had to do it by hand, but it wasnt all that bad. (i am realizing at this point, pictures would be so nice, but camera is elsewhere, and i have to figure out how to size them, so they dont look friggen huge, like the ones in my album. but i digress...) as i sanded, i kept wiping the dust off with a rag, then when i was done, i went and bought new shop rags. i then took paint thinner and wiped down all the areas to be done 3 times, to clean them up, and remove all the dust off of it.

well, it is 12:10 in the am, and im tired. i will finish the write-up, and hopefully pictures after the weekend.

Download irfranview. It's free and a great tool to resize pics. I may have done a write up on it here. If not check diesel haulin or diesel place

sweet, good deal. i will check it out when i get back from camping this weekend, then i might just start a new thread with pics.

Or you could upload them to a hosting site like photobucket and upload them in the size you want, and use the img tags and post them here like a link.

mods, i will be posting the new thread for this tonight. it will probably be under the same thread name, so if you want to delete this one, be my guest. Thanks

Back