• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fellow Suburbanites... how's your mpg doin'?

Yes TD you are correct, my truck is under 6000lbs with 3.42 gears and taller tires, so I am light and dont spin very high RPMs to create much boost while cruising.

Just calculated my first tank after new 6.2 hybrid ATT motor install. New injectors too, KOJO tune, drove 65 to 70 with 410's up some pretty major grades, drove it like I stole it, 17 mpg on B85 biodiesel homebrew. Will test again on the way home with more like an 85% petroleum, but I'm very pleased. Previous motor with GM turbo only ever netted 15 tops. It's apples to oranges, but I think with new injectors and the turbo/tune, an 18 or 19 mpg 410 geared 4WD Suburban is possible. Maybe if driven gently with petroleum, even 20.

This just in. 17 mpg when driven like I stole it. ATT, KOJO, -1.94, fresh injectors and 6.2/6.5 hybrid. 17.3 mpg when driven nicely. I'm going back to driving like she's stolen.

I'm going to install my AFE air filter and see if I can get her higher. Also had a flatish tire, so hoping for a little better mpg.

knkreb must have read my mind... been meaning to post a thread like this.

Just started a new job in downtown Richmond. I have done every conceiveable mod and routine maintenance item I could before this job started to get the best possible mileage. See mods below. 3.73s with stock tire size, 4x4. 160k miles on motor.

It's roughly 15 miles 1 way. I got 14.2mpg with a/c on in city driving... both weeks.

Went on a 360 mile trip last weekend up I-64 west from Richmond to Staunton (VA), and south on 81... mostly up hill. 16.9 mpg. 100 miles using a/c, load of Boy Scouts and gear. 65-70mph. No cruise control.

I must say, I am disappointed. I have a noisy new (rebuilt) injector again (fuel knocking off and on) so that has some impact, but how you guys could get 20mpgs seems like fantasy land with my 6.5 experiences.

I have replaced injectors, vac pump delete, new dmax fan and clutch, all fluids new, FTB, watched speed like a hawk, no gear stored on top. Mountains (3800 ft max) are a factor, but there is a down side to each one. Thought it would balance out to 18-19...

Steve,

We have the exact same rig, except for 2 things. I'm getting a little better mileage than you, not much at all, with 4:10's, and the A Team.

I'd love a set of 3:42s.

Back