• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fellow 6.5'ers with Optima batteries

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
Well, since Bus 2 will be finding a new home in the not to distant future... I moved the set of Optima batteries over too it from Bus 1 (slide out battery drawer, far, far away from the fire in the engine bay)

Since those puppies were pretty expensive, I thought, "hey I'm keepin' them babies" Then the thought crossed my mind... they were 4 nearing 5 years old... usual end of service life of conventional batteries. But these are Optima red tops...

What all have you experienced with these batteries for those who are proud owners of them? Is 5 years near the end the same as lead acid batteries or what? I think I remember someone a long time ago say they got 9 years on theirs.

I haven't been all that impressed with mine. Don't know how long they'll last but when they die I'm buying another set of the Sears Diehard agms. Close to $400 bucks for a pair but they really make my plow truck spin.

have hade my yellow top in sevral toyotas for 9 years now 5th! toyota same yellowtop! and the toyota seas hade ues almost weekly off road!! And FYI optimas are made and distributed by interstate! my interstate guy keeps trying to sell me anew one for the toyota but why fix it if it aint broke!!

Pete

My napas are 5 years young but I have a feeling they are on their last year in my DD. Ol' Blue needs a new (new to it) set though!

Three yrs. on my red tops have actually forgoten all about them, that reminds me I should check for corrosion on the terminals.

Not sure how old my red tops are, they were in the truck when I bought it last year...

Doubt I will pop that much coin for another set though when the time comes, prolly just go with interstates or what ever I can find on sale that has the highest cranking #'s

I have my red tops for about 8yrs now,, and been extremely happy. I used to go through a set of lead acids every other year, I think the florida heat is pretty rough on batteries. I always recomend them when I see people buying batteries at the store.

IDK, I've been hearing reports that Optima are not as good as they used to be...

But I do like the fact that there sealed and can be mounted anywhere though...

I may be cursed, but I had red tops in my camaro and they never lasted 2 years each, replaced twice in the 4 year warranty, and two years later I replaced myself with a regular battery. Now my car will drain them when its not running (not sure how after I take out tons of fuses), but that was when I was running it every day about. Could have been high engine bay heat, since I had headers and what not in that cramped compartment. I might try yellow top again.

They can be mounted at any angle, but I wouldnt mount them in the cab. They still vent like other batteries, I have watched and heard mine vent.

Back