• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Feed the beast on a 6.2L

1999gmc

Reaction score
My daughters 83 Jimmy has a turbo on it, and I feel like I noticed a difference when I did the FTB and Walbro lift pump on my 6.5L. So I was wondering if anyone has done it on a 6.2L with a turbo, and if it was worth it?

Well that truck has a different fuel filter and a mechanical pump. Iirc the mechanical pumps take a whole different nose cone or removing the current one from from the pump and getting it machined out.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

The truck has an aftermarket turbo so the mechanical pump was replaced with electric so the turbo drain could go there. But, that was what I was wondering was if the fittings at the pump are the same as the 6.5L that I got from Leroy.

Sorry man, just noticed you had "mechanical pump with whole different nose cone". Didn't catch that the first time I read it at work. So I'm thinkin then not too many people have done it, or might not even benefit from it.

You would get more out of a 6.5 IP put on in place of the 6.2 IP. Both DB2's of course. A Walbro is a good upgrade without the FTB and may be the reason you noticed a difference. Your turbo and/or precups will limit what you can get out of the '83. You could always use an adapter just before the IP to use bigger hose without modding the DB2. Length of small pipe has an effect vs. a big pipe with just one small restriction.

I don't see the need for the FTB on a 6.2 DB2 IP. 6.5 IP maybe.

Ok. Thanks. When I got the truck the electric pump that was on it was dead. I found an Airtex universal diesel pump, I think it was an E8153, said it was 14 PSI and 35 GPH. So I put that on. And 1 yr and a month later it took a crap. They warrantied it for me but if it keeps failing, maybe I'll try a Walbro on it.

Back