• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farm problem

Stove

Recruit
Reaction score
So I have plot of green beans, about 8 acres. I have the 8 acres divided into multiple patches. I have been thinking that the beans look bad, passed it off as water stress from the monsoons.

I got to thinking that something else has to be going on. So I start back tracking, what I sprayed for herbicide, what rates, was the tank clean. Dam I cannot find a thing.

Then it dawned on me, could it be chemical carry over. This ground was in sweet corn production last year. It gets a 1/2 rate of lexar pre plant, and 1/2 rate post. All of this is done by the local chemical company. All be damn, lexar has a 18 month restriction on snap beans.

So I call the chemical company, and I ask them to go out an look at the crop, and give me an assessment. They are at a lose. Thought maybe it was where they spot applied wide match. I proceed to reveal my findings, of which they did not know of the 18 month restriction, I didn't either until last night. They also knew I was rotating green beans into the previous years sweet corn ground.

So they kinda pass it off. IMHO I think they should be on the hook for my loss. I believe the losses will be big. I think their insurance should cover the loss.

I have not had a discussion with the plant manager yet, I was way to pissed yesterday.:mad:

You guys have any thoughts?

That is a tough one Stove, but I think they should be on the hook for it. They are the professionals and should know all the restrictions. No matter it is a bad situation. I hope you can get it resolved fairly, but they have insurance and IMHO it should pay.

Just my $.02

That is a tough one Stove, but I think they should be on the hook for it. They are the professionals and should know all the restrictions. No matter it is a bad situation. I hope you can get it resolved fairly, but they have insurance and IMHO it should pay.

Just my $.02

I agree it is a tough one.

I should always double check, and now I will.

2 things I have in my favor are their lack of knowing the restriction, and they have a map of what is going where. So they knew I was putting snap beans in previous years sweet corn ground.

did you tell them last year that you wanted to put snap beans out after sweet corn? if not, they're really not at fault for using something with that long of a rotational restriction. take some pictures so i can see what you've got for damage if you get a chance.

what are the symptoms of the stress? discolored leaves? buggy whipping??

Stove I have given your problem some further consideration and I think the burden of responsibility like on whose idea it was to apply the chemical on your ground. If the recommended it I feel it is their problem. If it was your idea I think the burden falls primaraly on your shoulders. Either way I think their insurance could pay you out.

Let us know how it turns out.

one year a cropduster sprayed our alfalfa field thinking it was something else. he bought the crop. he was a farm or two off.

So here is the next chapter of the story. I have had 2 people look at the crop. One guy from the FSA office and a PHD from the chemical company(callisto).

He is their field man, and in the beginning callisto had no snap bean restriction. That was until it killed hundred of acres in michigan. He did the study for that, and the investigation.

I have definite callisto damage. He told me that it is the worst he has ever seen. Mainly because we had a real dry year last year, so there is more than normal residual this year. There is also damage from from another chemical the company post applied, wide match I believe. It has a 12 month restriction, next month will be 12 months.

So where am I at? Well I think the chemical company thinks I am just going to bite it, and that is not going to happen. I have heard many excuses from them, like you have never rotated beans into previous years corn field, which is not true. You didn't give us enough time to research. I went in and drew a detailed map for dry fertilizer application, didn't plant it for 10-14 days after that. None of them even knew of the restriction, and it was certainly not told to me if they did.

I am going in to have a real meeting so they know I am serious, and that is going to be the last time I play nice. From there I will pursue all my options.

Easy math. We normally get 150 bu green beans to the acre. I had no intention of wholesaling any of these, but lets do that math anyways. 8 acres times 150 BU at current price of 31.75 an acre is just over 38K.

I planned to retail all of the crop, at a minimum of $2 a pound. 28lb bushels and the same yield is just over 72k.:yikes:

And that is for the first plant, I have the seed to do double crop.

I honestly don't want my retail revenue, but I feel average wholesale is not out of line. IMHO the average wholesale price for the season will fall in the $24 range.

The whole deal makes me sick.

I ask the chemical rep if I could deep till the ground and at least get my second crop in, and that is a no go. So I have taken lots of pics and we are going to rip it up tomorrow and drill soybeans.

Couple of pics of what should be full term beans in harvest.

322659398.jpg

322659403.jpg

Sorry to hear that, Stove.....it sucks when they won't step up to the plate.

Good luck with beans #2.

BTW, the melons are looking good.. :D

Hey Scott,
I was wondering what happened with this. Have you got any corn ready yet????

Sorry to hear that, Stove.....it sucks when they won't step up to the plate.

Good luck with beans #2.

BTW, the melons are looking good.. :D

I will be interested if the melons turn out. I had powdery mildew get into 2000 plants before I set them. I had just watered the flats and it turned off cold for a week. After fungicide treatment they came out of it, but slowed them way down.

I just seeded my last 1500 plants, they should be ready about thanksgiving!!:yikes:

Now all you have to do is save some seeds and you will be good to go next year.

Back