• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed Mass Inspection for loud exhaust.

hookedup50

Reaction score
I've passed inspection 2 years running at same shop with same inspector and same 4 inch exhaust. This year its too loud. I asked him why he passed every year and the the answer was shame on me for passing it. Meanwhile there is a Ford gasser at idle louder than mine at idle. Tomorrow I will go to performance diesel shop that installs and expects noise and get it inspected there(60 miles). Sorry for rant.

Someone didn't get laid at the shop last night or they are cracking down on that shop. Did the Ford fail too?

I woulda hung around long enough to record the Ford on the machine and when it passed asked the guy why he passed it; when it is obviously louder than your truck and for his boss to come look at the video.................

I'm in a small town and need to get other vehicles inspected(word travels as there is only one other inspection shop nearby as in 20 miles), so its a grin and bear it thing. My truck is admittedly loud by me, but I'm pushing fifty and not out disturbing the peace. Its no louder than any cummins. My gripe was he revved it to like 3 grand in nuetral to get that noise in an enclosed space. While criusing with truck full I've never gotten close to those revs. I was ready to strangle him for revving it and expected him to get me on smoke issues, cause the turbo isn't gonna catch up to the fuel to burn it right away. I just took my lumps and left. It was the boss doing the inspecting. Today I'm heading to the diesel performance shop where they expect noise, instsall noisy exhaust and stacks. Been wanting to go there anyway to check it out. If I wasn't cash strapped I'd put it on their dyno and get a baseline before the ecm gets reflashed as the tune does not know about the ATT. What the whole thing boils down to is I live in a rural old yankee town where you have to have lived here for about a hundred years before you lose the new nieghbor status, and I got eighty more to go. No kidding. Also, I have been pulled over twice by the police becauce of the 4 inch exhaust. They just wanted to look under the hood as it is a small town and it is known there is a militart surplus engine under there. Just life in a small town(The town got 3 surplus hummers for a grand a peice).

hookedup50, I like'em quiet and not sure how they would deal with some of the Harleys I hear in town where I live, no mufflers just pipes. I installed a 4"exhaust with a resonator in place of the cat and a 36" body 9" diameter muffler and still I think it is to loud, muffler has a rattle and think I'm going to replace it with an offset 11" diameter muffler and maybe that will quiet it down, I liked'em quiet at 20 and at 50 not much has changed. Good luck on your next inspection. .

I like mine quiet inside, but outside is another story. Mine is VERY cival at light throttle levels, but if I get on it she TALKS. inside it is VERY quiet, but roll the windows down when your getting on it and it's a different story. Lets just say I can never resist playing the song of my people when I pass by a tall wall, and when I'm in a tunnell the song of my people BELLOWS out of it. That's why I like my COORSA muffler, quiet inside with the windows up, straight through 4" muffler, but she TALKS to you outside.

X2 on Quiet inside. The 4 inch exhaust was for mileage and I knew noise was gonna happen. I went to the Diesel hotrod shop that does inspections and got passed. I knew I was good when the cummins ahead of me pulled out. I've never seen a quiet one of those and love cummins engines, but hate the wrapper they come in. You can call them Rams or anything else, but its a dodge. IMO

Back