• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Factory Navigation

jim87vette

Gimpy
Reaction score
Who has it and what do you think about it.Also what does it cost to keep it running,sorry I don't know much about it and really have not found a good source yet.

I bought mine for a grand. I also bought a Lux amp to go with it to upgrade my sound system. I plugged the nav in and pop, smoke...It fried itself. After 6 weeks and another $250, I got a newer one. So, $1000 for the nav + $500 for the Lux amp + $250 for the repair = I should have gone aftermarket.

I mean I like it but for what I've spent on it, I should have gone with a Kenwood.

I have and I really like it. No cost to keep it active. The only cost would be if you want to by a newer map disc when they are released. If you buy it in a new truck, it comes with on free revision.

I believe you receive free updates for 2 years, then after that it's $199.00 a year to keep the maps up to date. If you have a laptop you can purchase a USB GPS locator then use Microsoft Streets and Trips that's a really great set up and program.

I haven't really driven my truck enough to see if I like the factory nav yet. But I have used Streets and Trips in the past and it got me where I was wanting to go.

I bought mine on ebay for $700 brand new, made for a Tahoe. If you do it that way, you get the RSE, DVD player, and backup camera is already activated. I bought the disc for an extra $25 on ebay, and the antenna cost me $8 on ebay. It was a straight forward install, and it's really nice to have. No service cost at all; as Hill1430 said, if you really wanted to, you can buy new map discs.

I've had one since June 2005. It is great. No extra fees. I think I paid $1200. for mine new. Look on ebay for deals on updated map discs.

there used to be a great write up on this somewhere on the net. maybe i'll find it.

Thanks that would be nice.Just want to see what the masses think.Also wasn't sure if I would get sucked into one of those monthly charge issues to use it(like everything else these days).

I installed my about a year and a half ago. I did the LUX version and also installed the 6 disk CD changer. I love it and it works great!!! If I was to do it again I might go aftermarket and buy a GPS I could move from vehicle to vehicle. That is the only down fall, it is stuck in the dash.

Got mine off of Ebay, came out of a 04-05 H2. Works good no problems at all. Just a note about disc revisions, your truck has to of had it installed from the factory to get the free revision, you have to give GM the vin to the vehicle and they do verify it. Of course there are ways around it, but just wanted to let people know you just cant order discs from GM for free all the time and without some conditions.

I have it and did the upgrade myself. I did the factory GM Lux Touchscreen upgrade so that it would work with my steering wheel controls, onstar, and rear audio controls for the passengers. I would have had to buy a bunch of different modules to keep or make these things still work. I'm not sure if there is anything to keep the rear seat audio working though. Overall I'm super happy with mine!

Love mine, non lux, w/ 6 disc change. I just orderd the new nav disc, mine is 2 years old, cost a tad over $100 delivered. I'll find the number and post it, give them the vin and they get you a disc, even thought Nav was not an option on my 06

Mine is finicky with disks. I've tried 8 different disks and only 1 works. I'm in desperate need of a newer version. I think I'm running an 05 version.

I wish I installed a 6 disk along with it but thats my only complaint.

Mine is finicky with disks. I've tried 8 different disks and only 1 works. I'm in desperate need of a newer version. I think I'm running an 05 version.

I wish I installed a 6 disk along with it but thats my only complaint.

I don't like the disc versions...they get outdated too fast...I like straight sattelite:seeya:

i put a factory one in my 06' ,and it works great ,i just want a newer disk now,mine was a plug and play,i want to add a 6 disc changer in the dash now

If you buy a new disk, I'll buy your old one, assuming its a factory disk and not a burnt copy.

Back