• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Factory Nav & window tint

jim87vette

Gimpy
Reaction score
Anyone have navigation on 07-08 and have had the windows tinted.It says that it can affect the signal anyone have any problems or have heard of anyone with problems?

i think mat from champion transmission has the navigation with 20% window tint. he would know if it affect his. I dont see how it could

i think mat from champion transmission has the navigation with 20% window tint. he would know if it affect his. I dont see how it could

I thought that as well but was told it says in the owners manual not to tint?:noidea:

Nothing?Well I will search a bit and see if I can find something more on this just thought I caught wind of a problem about this somewhere hmm.

I wouldn't worry about I don't think. You all of these blacked out tahoes and such, and most of the newer ones have Nav...

I think it would be if yo you used the mirrored tint that would cause problems. because of the metal to make it mirrored. same might hold true for some regular tints as well. if its just colored vinyl ro plastic you shouldnt have a problem

If my memory serves me correct it should have no effect on it. I believe that the GPS antenna is on the roof, at leats it was on the older ones. I'm not sure where they're coming up with the window tint issue. I did see something on that when i was diagnosing a GPS antenna issue on a tahoe today (didn't have tinted windows). The nav unit was showing the truck to be just outside dallas tx. kinda funny cause the truck wasactually in fayetteville tn. Got a new antenna coming for it tomorrow.:D

If my memory serves me correct it should have no effect on it. I believe that the GPS antenna is on the roof, at leats it was on the older ones. I'm not sure where they're coming up with the window tint issue. I did see something on that when i was diagnosing a GPS antenna issue on a tahoe today (didn't have tinted windows). The nav unit was showing the truck to be just outside dallas tx. kinda funny cause the truck wasactually in fayetteville tn. Got a new antenna coming for it tomorrow.:D

I would say something is wrong...:D

I also though the GPS antenna was on the roof. But, I didn't want to run my big mouth..:D

Actually I know for a fact that the 03-07 Gm vehicles GPS antenna is mounted under the dash on the passenger side.

I would assume the same for the newer ones. The roof antenna is for the XM radio and onstar.

I think the tint scam is just a way for the feds to get us not to tint the windows.

I doubt it would have an effect on the newer ones as it has no effect on my GPS signal in my 03.

I would say something is wrong...:D

I also though the GPS antenna was on the roof. But, I didn't want to run my big mouth..:D

LOL. thats where the open ended answers come from. It leaves you an ecsape plan if you are wrong.:eyebrows:

Ya my thoughts are leaning more to ,it shouldn't be a problem because if it was I am sure I would of heard of a lot more complaints by now because a lot of people get aftermarket tint.And I am one who needs dark windows as I hate the sun(and people looking at me) while driving lol.And yes I do pick my nose and drive!

My buddy's suburban, with the factory NAV (installed by me), works fine. It's 2.5% all the way around, and a strip across the top of the windshield. I'm not much for the windshield tint, but he likes it. For everyone's info, the GPS antenna is sitting in a holder under the "front panel" of the dash in the NBS, not on the roof. The roof antenna is XM and onstar "if equipped." :) Mine has yet to go to the tint shop, but 5% is coming.

15% matches the rear pretty close. The rear windows are 18%. So your front ones will look a little darker. But its hardly noticeable as long as you get a good quality tint.

I've got 5% all the way around on mine with a strip across the windshield. Can be a pain at times but is awesome durin g the day. the factory tint plus the 5% i added makes it near impossible o see through any of the back winidows and you can't hardly tell there is a difference between the front and rear windows.:D

15% matches the rear pretty close. The rear windows are 18%. So your front ones will look a little darker. But its hardly noticeable as long as you get a good quality tint.

The rears are 18%? Good to know. I had my 02 Tahoe tinted to match the rears and it was 25%...match was spot on. Good to know before I went and did something stupid!! Thanks. :)

Back