• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

External Hard Drive

MD Welding

Reaction score
Now my external hard drive will not start up. The lights are on but nothing is turning inside. Is there anyway to jump start it or is it dead?

It's a Acomdata 160GB.

Even tho the lights are turned on, try a computer reboot as I assume you are using a USB connection, if this doesn't work you might try to rescue the drive by placing it into another external box. Do you feel any vibration out of it at all? Does the drive show up in the control panel?

When it's on it doesn't recognize it at all. When I go into the hardware profile it says it can not start. It turned on earlier today then quit. It finally turned on again and I copied everything off it to my pc for now.

it is a usb.
I am guessing it is dieing. When it does work you can feel it vibrate. When it does not work it doesn't viberate.

Not my month for electronics i guess.

head crash, you will see it a couple of more times and then gone.
good you could copy it.

regular hard drives have a expected lifetime,
very depending on average operating temperature and hours of usage.
all drives go bad sometime - here is where Solid State Drives come in
(and speed of course)...

I will be glad when SSD prices go down. I would like to buy one. Another reason why I have multiply back up drives.

Seagate makes a really nice BU drive, USB or Firewire and it is fast. I have the 1.5 TB and paid 99.00 for it. I like my DLink NAS as it is on the server and when it isn't being used it powers down. Plus I am using a Raid 1 on it....It sends me a email every day letting me know how much space is used.

Back