• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Explain Towing Weights and Truck Capacities

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how much I can *safely* and *legally* tow with a 2500HD.

The trailer is a 20+5 Dual Tandem Gooseneck. Rating of 22,400 pds. Weight is approx 6200 pds for the trailer.

I have a 10,000 pd sizzor lift I will be pulling plus how ever much the load can take so I can load the 55 gal drum of the materials.

I've never had to pull this much and worry about ratings, throw me some figures..

Last edited:
GCWR is the total maximum weight your rig can be. Take the weight of the truck with you and all your crap in it and add 17,500, which should be the weight of your trailer and load, approximately.

Looking online says 27,000 is GCWR, so you will be below that.

I have towed larger loads with our 05, namely our water trailer rig. You'll be fine w/ 765 ft/lbs and the new chassis. Just make sure your trailer brakes are working properly, all your tires have the right pressure, and that you're using your exhaust brake, etc. Got lots of features, just make sure it all works. ;)

According to the booklet max trailer weight with a 5th wheel for a 2500HD CC short box = 16,700

Soooo, 6,200 + 10,000 = 16,200 for your trailer weight. Which leaves you 500 for filling 55gal drums if they are loaded on your trailer.

The rating on your trailer just means that your truck is the "weak" link so you shouldn't have to worry about overloading the trailer.

Last edited:
You're dead on TT. I had to go to Chevy's website to look for myself, and here it is:
5e09a242.jpg

Also, unless you go substantially over, and get pulled over by the DOT and they use portable scales, your truck will handle some extra weight easy. Just make sure you have a proper tongue weight.

Last edited:
That explains alot, and leads me to another question.

What do I need to do to be legal? I'm not hauling for a profit, just our own business materials and equipment.

Also, do I need to weigh at a weight station if I pass on the interstate?

I've seen a lot of people with "Not For Hire" or "For Private Use Only" on a lot of pickups, down near the bottom edge of the door.

As for the scales, I don't know. I know the WA legislature has all of the RCWs (Revised Code of WA) posted online. Within them are all of our rules & regs for the road. You looked online for your state?

If it's for private use, I don't think so. If it's for hire, then you have to follow all DOT regs, have a CDL, have the truck and trailer DOT'd, etc.

This is why I like farming. If it's farm use, pretty much anything goes, lol.

Jeff you'll get a feel for the pin weight after a few load ups and find a reliable mark for the equipment to rest each time. Actually, you can usually tell just by looking at the loaded setup by how it all sits when you're loaded and ready to go. I've hauled around 15-16k with my tractor on and it's a comfy load. I've been at 22k or so and it IS NOT comfy... Of course I'm bumper pull so that's a different animal.
As far a scales on the interstate, I'd ask a couple of local contractors what they do. Your state DOT regs are probably online but if they're like mine, good luck navigating them...

Exactly. I'm having a hard time finding them...

I'll keep searching.

Good luck finding a complete answer. It varies depending on state and even DOT officer's personal interpretation of the letter of the law.

I go by what is on the door jam sticker. Look at what ever will be the weak link for your set up be it axle weight front or rear GAWRF GAWRR or GVWR (entire truck) and if you have it GCVWR (combined weight). Look at tires if you are using your standard recommended tire (that is on the door sticker) you should be fine but check it. The tire will have a weight rating on the sidewall. Then look at your registration and see what your license plate rated weight is. Here in South Carolina we have to pay extra for more weight that the standard avg vehicle and the tags are different they are referred to as "P" Tags and iirc are the total or gross combined weight of the vehicle, cargo, and trailer. Then do the same for the trailer Gross and axle weight limits then tires.

Note:
They did not ask me at the highway department anything about the door sticker or my owners manual they just said how heavy of plate registration do you want to buy iirc it came in 2000 lb increments. And my truck does not have a GCWR number on the door sticker so I just look at axle and gross vehicle weight (add front and rear axle weight). If you go over a truck scale it will give front axle weight, drive axle weight, trailer axle weight and total weight. That is what it seems DOT is interested in.

if your truck isn't labeled as a bussiness[company name], then your better off towing what you want and DO NOT stop at ant weigh stations, you can tow that much weight just fine, if you get pulled over[not very likly] just play dumb, and its your own personal equipment,, by the time you get everything gov[state/feds] you can just pay a semi truck full price ,and if your not doing this for commercal your ok

The feds control the weigh stations. Anything for hire or commercial has to pull over. If it is for personal use then no you do not. You don't need any signage as DOT trucks will have (or are supposed to) have their DOT numbers and whatnot on the outside of their trucks, this includes hotshotters.
As far as the weight of your trailer etc, as long as you can load the trailer to keep the pin weight reasonable, then you should be okay.

Back