• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

exhaust manifold bolts

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
does anyone know what thread the exhuast manifold bolts are for a 97 6.5TD?

I can't see to find them anywhere and i'm working on a truck with a severely crusty passenger side manifold that's getting replaced.

M10 x1.50 comes to mind for some reason. I"m not sure if that's correct or not.

Thanks guys

- Dave

I'm also going to need the length's of the bolts as well.

I know on the blazer i had to use two washers for the two bolts i had to replace and the bolts were too long. I can't remember what length those bolts were either. :mad2:

M10x 1.5 is correct. I have the lengths written down some where from when I got all stainless bolts. I ended up getting threaded rod for the bolts that needed studs for heat sheilds. The stealer gets over $5 per bolt for the exhaust bolts. At fastenal ,I got stainless for less than $2 per bolt.I'll see if I can find the worksheet with lengths or the reciept.

I've got all of them except the long bolts with studs.40,45,65mm

Okay, I've got both my stock manifolds here, along with all the correct bolts and studs.
The bolts required are as follows:
Driver side
Six bolts, 10x1.5mm 64mm long
Two bolts, 10x1.5mm 45mm long

Passenger side
Three bolts, 10x1.5mm 64mm long
Five bolts with stud standoffs, 10x1.5mm 84mm long
The stand offs are 14mm long. the standoffs are the same 10x1.5 size as the bolts.

I measured the lengths with a digital vernier, so just get the length as close as you can.For example, 64mm bolts, are probably listed as 65mm

This is from chevyinline6 on the other site when he posted in my exhaust manifold thread.

Hope this helps

The factory bolts have a trilobe thread that is self locking. These are also a rolled thread I believe.

Special bolts that are supposed to stay tight and last a lot longer than regular grade 8 stuff.

Yup the stealer does charge the $$$$$ for these.

I scrounged through a pile of used ones from the 6.2 and 6.5 stuff I have gleaned from a bunch of engines plus a trip to the bone yard when I did the DaHooooley.

Always use never seaze on the threads when installing these suckers.

Missy

I got all 8 of my driver side bolts for like $25 at the dealer. I didn't think it was too bad for the real bolts that were supposed to go there.

Bolts, nuts and heat shields cost me $200 at the stealer's. ( both shields were only $40)

I know that Napa has some generic 10mm exhaust manifold bolt assortment kits. Some bolts are longer and have the studs on the other side. That was going to be my choice he next time I needed manifold bolts. It looked like with two or three of these kits, you would have enough bolts. They weren't that expensive either. Its worth taking some samples to you favorite parts store to match some up.

Someone told me that using SS bolts for my manifolds was not a good idea, or I would have put them in when I had my DS head out... I'm kind of pissed I didn't use them. If there is one spot I would want SS bolts it would be the manifolds..............

Back