• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

exhaust louder after non egr intake swap?

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
:ANGRY_~317: I put a non EGR intake on my Yukon and now the exhaust is much louder well maybe not louder but it is more dronie in the cab. Has anyone run into this?

It's your enigine's way of saying thank you for unchoking me:D

My blazer was louder exhaust wise after a non-EGR intake swap. That and much less sooty when i stomped the go pedal. AT first i th ought it was just the change in the exhaust outlet, as i moved them to exit at the rear bumper instead of behind each rear wheel. Guess in my case it's probably a little of both.

My exhaust didn't really become louder, but it became a deeper tone if that makes sense. This is with my stacks too, I had the stacks on with the S intake for about 2 months then put on the F intake and the exhaust got deeper... lol.

My exhaust didn't really become louder, but it became a deeper tone if that makes sense. This is with my stacks too, I had the stacks on with the S intake for about 2 months then put on the F intake and the exhaust got deeper... lol.

So the guy you bought the rig from intercooled it, but left EGR and S intake?

So the guy you bought the rig from intercooled it, but left EGR and S intake?
Yes. He also had an aftermarket chip in there but he removed and placed the stock eprom in before he traded it in.

The engine was replaced at around 60,000 miles... Only thing I can think of is maybe he overheated the exhaust (causing meltdown?) and that is why he put the intercooler in there? I'm not sure. The PO wasn't the brightest guy either looking at some of his work lol.

I'm still doing a lot of learning about diesels, have had my first diesel for less than a year. I changed out the intake on my 83 N/A 6.2 to a non-egr manifold. Because the non-egr manifold set the air filter canister about an 1 1/2" lower I rebuilt the canister so it would clear the IP. I stacked two filters together and changed the single small oval intake air tube to two 4" round tubes. Initially I had the canister open around the upper circumference just like flipping the lid on a gasser filter canister while I rebuilt the lower part of the canister. This was painfully LOUD! The exhaust was not touched, still stock, and the intake was very painfully loud to the ears, especially at higher RPMs. After I got the lower part of the canister finished and installed with the two intake tubes run, one to each side of the radiator core support, the noise was greatly reduced, but still much louder than the stock restricted intake system. I know that the turbo intake system may never sound exactly the same as a N/A system, but my experience tells me that changing to a more open intake manifold will make a difference in a motors sound.

Don

ps, I see I have yet to set up my signature details on my vehicles. Here they are until I get them onto my signature.

1983 Chev 1/2 ton N/A 6.2, miles unknown but obviously very high, purchased for trailer parts and possible heart transplant into my 1971 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser, due to financial problems and expensive repairs needed on my DD Astro van it was pressed into DD service for a few months (was good for my initiation into diesels).

1994 Chev K2500, 6.5TD with 221k miles, 4X4, extra cab, longbed, purchased at salvage price since the PO slid on ice and kissed a tree, apparently the PO to my PO (I've known my PO for several years) installed a turbomaster in place of the vacuum wastegate, have not found any other mods yet

Last edited:
Back