• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

exhaust comes loose

jackh

Reaction score
this is the second time this has happened. my exhaust came loose at the 4-5 in adapter. the first time i manages to get it back in and i tightened the **** out of the band clamp, didn't think it would happen again but it did. now that it has, im thinkin about tackin it once i get it back in place. my buddys got a TIG that wouldn't work that well since the pipes aluminized but my uncles got a MIG that would probably be ok. i was thinkin id lay one or two 1 inch beads on it and just be done with it. what do yall think?

Hard to tell but by the looks of the pic you had the clamp too far back on the adapter.

I see the adapter is crushed in a lot and the front pipe doesnt look crushed at all.

Iwould get another crush clamp and put it towards the front of the adapter to you now it made contact ith the frontpipe.

BTW: the clamps you are using are using will rarely permit pipe to slide out adfter being tighted down especially if tightened with an impact or even a ratchet and somebody with strong forearms.

If you do weld It I suggest removing the front pipe and the adapter and welding it on a bench.

You have to weld it all the way around or it WILL leak.

You can set the welder fairly high for this stuff I found. I set it at 18.1 for valtage and 256 for wire speed on my 252 millermatic.

good luck

thanks for the reply

ya i noticed that the pipe had bent some when i was workin on it a min ago, never noticed until just now. i think ill just use an impact wrench cuz i just got under there tightened as much as i could and the dam thing still slips a little bit. i moved the clamp more towards the end of the adapter to get a hold of the downpipe also.

while under there i noticed this:

the downpipe rests on the crossmember (?) and rattles a little bit when i turn the truck off and it shakes a bit. theres a spot where its gettin a little worn down. doesn't seem like an urgent problem but it also seems like in 50k miles i might have a hole in the pipe right there. what should i do?

get some kind of tough heat resitant pad. something that has characteristics like rubber but stands up to heat.

ive read that the ubolt clamps that come with the exhaust are just ****ty and i could try a band clamp from like napa or something. the dude said the band clamp would work better and might fix both problems. what do you think

I always use donaldson seal clamps. Theyare like 15 bucks a piece though. But work real nice.

I just put a napa band clamp on the 5 inch side of my adapter yesterday. I think it works a heck of a lot better than the usual clamps. seems to be holdign the exhaust higher too so its not hitting the crossmember, mine had sagged over time

hmm then ill have to try that. hopefully it will fix both problems.

first ill try to hit the stock clamp with an impact wrench this wknd when i go my uncles

Back