• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ex manifold bolts

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't really do a search here yet, so... on the turbo side, the longer bolts have a short 1/2" threaded stub sticking out. Are they entirely nesessary? Two rusted in the manifold and well, a grinder, a big hammer, a drill and a air hammer FINALLY got them out. Did I mention they were stuck? Anyhow, I need to get a couple of new bolts, but unless I go OEM, I don't think I'll find what I need at the local hardware store IF I need that fancy bolt. Also, do I need a fancy hardened bolt or will, say, a grade 2 or 3 work? Thanks in advance guys,

Hey, while I'm at it, can one (re)use a piece of the intake gasket that goes from 1 and 2 or 3 and 4? I'm cheap and the gasket on my turbo oil return tube is shot, so if I cut that middle part out and make a hole for the oil flow, would it be sufficient or do I have to wait for dealer to open?

i dont know about the turbo stuff , but the extra stud does mount some of the engine hardware. i know the dip stick tube uses one and i thing the air cleaner holder bracket thing is another. have to go look.

i think the 10 grade bolts resist rot out better too, which is a huge plus with exhaust systems....as for the local hardware store, they SHOULD have a bolt you can use, if not try looking in the phone book for brafasco or fasteners, find a local bolt store....most areas have one(where do you think the construction workers go lol)

Exhaust manifold bolts are interference fit (threads fit tight so they self lock) it is best to use factory bolts. They are metric, and around grade 9.8, about grade 5 equivalent.

I have seen at some of the auto parts places a kit which contain all or the exhaust manifold bolts. I think they were around $15 or co. giving the headache these ones gave you it might be a cheap investment

I bought a complete set of manifold bolts from GM, ouch. Over $200 for bolts, nuts and shields.

The nuts for the glow plug shields ended up at $5 ea. The shortest bolts were twice the price of the longest bolts with the stud on it.

There are universal exhaust bolt kits. Even if you buy four or five sets to get enough bolts, your still money ahead. See your local parts store, see what they can do for you.

The sud is for mounting the heat sheilds for the glow plugs.

BOLTS

the bolts are 10mm thread pitch is 1.5 you have 88 mm long 45mm long and 65 mm long search mcmaster&carr atlanta ga. you can get anything you need there. use brass bolts if you dont wont them to rust or 316 stainless steel with antiseise on the threads. good luck

The factory bolts are the ticket on these beasts.

They are a little pricey but its worth it to have bolts that fit correctly and have the stud on the end to properly mount the heat shields.

MGW

MGW, I think you answered this same question for me a few years back on the other site. Good to see you here.

I switched to a new set of manifolds on my 6.5 and found out the castings are not the same. Some of the bolt holes were longer than the older set. I had to use more longer bolts with the new set. Not sure why there was a a difference. It all worked out thou:smile5: I'm not sure if there are different castings for stock 6.2 manifolds.

Back