• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ever convert 97-99 K1500 Suburban to the bigger dual front brakes from 2500 series 2000 MY or newer chevy trucks? If so, whats needed to do it?

Ever convert 97-99 K1500 Suburban to the bigger dual front brakes from 2500 series 2000 MY or newer chevy trucks? If so, whats needed to do it?
My 2000 K3500 has the older style brakes, like from the GMT 400 series.
Welcome to the TTS NG.
Mr. Marty, Sorry, not 2000....come to think of it think its 2005 2500 series that had the dual piston calipers, 8 lug bearing hub etc. I picked them up, added, slotted and drilled rotors etc. Spindle etc is the same height. Unfortunately when I went to put them on discovered the ball joints and upper control arms are different than the K1500. Was hoping someone else has figured this out. Want to run 8 lug in front to match the 11.5 8 lug in the back without adapters. N

@ngweidner are you referencing converting the GMT400 front brakes to the GMT800 style? There's a few threads on here if you search GMT800 brake conversion. Several folks on here have done it. All GMT800 trucks had the dual piston calipers.

thread here: https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/gmt-800-brake-conversion-silverado-hd-2500.45047/

I don't know of anyone who converted a 1500 truck to the GMT800 brakes, just 2500 trucks on here so I can't speak to the differences in the upper and lower control arms between a 1500 and 2500.

Long story short, to use the steering knuckles from the GMT800 you need to ream both upper and lower ball joint holes on the knuckle to accept the larger ball joints on the GMT400 2500 trucks. You can swap in a LCA from a GMT800 and then only have to ream the upper ball joint which is easier. You also need to ream the tire rod hole to accept an ES409R outer tie rod which will thread into the GMT400 adjuster sleeve. There are knuckles from 99-00 2500 non- hd trucks that don't need the tie rods reamed out but those are much harder to come by in the boneyard.

Welcome to TTS/ the loony bin 🙃

Back