• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ethanol vs Methanol Injection

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have my pump on order for my WMI system.

Let's have a little discussion about the pros and cons of injecting an ethanol mist vs a methanol mist into an IDI diesel.

I have heard stories/facts about both fuels but would like to hear more opinions.

What fuel is better for engine longevity? Pre-ignition concerns? Negative impact when mixed with diesel?

Let 'er fly...

All I can add is in gassers meth. can only be a 5-10% conc. Where ethanol can be any conc. Leo

If your engine grenades, you can sit and drink ethanol while you're waiting for the tow truck... :)

If your engine grenades, you can sit and drink ethanol while you're waiting for the tow truck... :)

Back in the day people used to fill the washer reservoir with alcohol and run the line into the cab. Could you see Chris doing this with the WMI?
Leo​

Back in the day people used to fill the washer reservoir with alcohol and run the line into the cab. Could you see Chris doing this with the WMI?
Leo​

Hate to admit it, Leo, but I had one of those... Got pulled over on Hwy 36 with a cooler full of coca-cola, on the way to a ball tournament in Stettler... he never did find the Rum. ):h

Hate to admit it, Leo, but I had one of those... Got pulled over on Hwy 36 with a cooler full of coca-cola, on the way to a ball tournament in Stettler... he never did find the Rum. ):h

It really ticks the mounties off when they know what you're up to but can't find it.):h

*bump*

Anyone with any real information?

The pump is on its way and I want to start planning things out....

Golds to the rescue...:D

Does this help?

Vaporization.jpg

I recommend methanol (unless ethanol is more readily available AND there is an off chance that you might get thirsty):h)

Regards,

Last edited:
Ah.....my hero!

*slap*

I was told that methanol was more corrosive than ethanol....fact or fiction?

Ah.....my hero!

*slap*

I was told that methanol was more corrosive than ethanol....fact or fiction?

You should be using 30R9 "fuel injection" rated hose in either case, so I have no greater concern about one over the other. You would probably also want to include a bit of upper cylinder lubricant (designed for use in methanol) in either one.

*bird*

Regards,

Back