• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine question

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
when you get a 6.2 block and rotating assembly and slap 6.5 heads and uppers on what do you have? is it just a 6.2 with a turbo? compression must change some. i'm at it again looking to change my perfectly good truck for no apperant reason other than i can.

the last motor i built for a guy was a 6.2 with 6.5 heads and that thing runs dam good. its got all my old performance goodies too. thanks for the info. maybe more will chime in too

6.2's had a higher compression ratio. I think it was due to piston height. 6.5 and 6.2 pistons are different as 6.5 pistons are coated. Rest of the 6.5 short block is simply a bored out 6.2. The heads are different - precups and injector angle.

You can use 6.2 heads with a 6.5 turbo setup. Wrap the manifolds and add 2 exaust gaskets for injector clearance.

Oil pans can be different and rear main seals can be different designs including crankshaft. Oil cooler lines can be different sizes in the block. Turbo oil feed is a easy challenge.

There isn't more than 3 MPH difference at 65 MPH dropping in a 6.2 longblock with a 6.2 IP in a 1993 turbo truck like mine. Little more exaust haze from the precups and heads.

Back