• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Oil Temp??

greenmeanh1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I working on a small project and need to measure engine oil temps or get some data on what our average peak oil temps might be. I have not been able to find any info as of yet. Wondering if anyone here has installed a temp sensor for this and where is the best place to install it to read peak temps??

What do you mean peak temps? I worked on some heat balance projects with Kubota and Yanmar diesel engines and they looked at sustained oil temp in the oil pan. For testing they attached a thermocouple to a dipstick.

Yanmar might have specified the oil gallery as the important measure but the oil pan tracked with it. Seems like they added maybe 10 degrees to the oil pan temperature to get to the expected gallery temp.

I think I have seen some probes you can install for the oil drain plug as another option. Or Tee into the line going to the oil cooler as its first destination from the oil pump coming from the oil pan so it would be a good oil pan temp I would think.

Try using oil dipstick sender and gauge available at http://www.westach.com/

I notice you have an at risk block have you considered using EVANS waterless coolant? I'm going on 4 years now with it running zero psi cap, it eliminates cavitation that is ever present in EGW mixtures and pulls more heat off the 6.5 td.

Back