• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine noise,,, tell me what You hear.

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
Just started yesterday, When I come to a stop sign,, I hear a new noise,, like loose something, rattling, on/with sheet metal. SO I pop hood,, and this is what I find,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exfSf52fp00&feature=youtu.be

When I grab the 2 tubes in my hand there shaking like a dog passing a prune pit. but when I leverage them,, torquing the lines and compressor, noise goes away.

Now, am I Needing a new something, and soon or what?

And who thinks I'll be able to get the connections at the Orfice tube or the Accumulator apart?? <--- 17yr old,, Me thinks still all factory sealed. I'm just glad the orfice tube is not up in the condenser. AC work flawless this past summer,, it's 25F here now,, so if an is working it's hard to tell. Just noisy, like exhaust pipe vibrating on the frame.

Is it possible it's just a bad pulley bearing? Remove the belt and see if it's rough.

X2 run w/ belt off for a couple seconds to see if it stops. I do this for all of my weird noises lol.
The noise will stop removing the belt as the compressor isn't running. What I'm thinking is if the pulley bearing is bad it should be rough. If it isn't then it's likely internal to the pump.

One other thing, is the noise all the time, or just when the clutch is engaged?

It didn't look like the compressor clutch was engaged? Was it? If it wasn't, it could be the compressor clutch pulley bearing. But I am not seeing how grabbing the line would quiet the bearing. Are you sure the compressor or line isn't vibrating on something and when you grab it, it is putting tension on it to stop the vibration?

Ok,, well as it was late when I posted this,, and cold also,,, I'll be going out here in a few to try all your suggestions. Clutch was NOT engaged. The noise is only audible, when I've slowed enough to hear it,, and when at a stop, breaks on, in gear, If I slip in out of gear, it's not as bad. Video was done, at idle, in gear, with E brake on.

Ok,, well as it was late when I posted this,, and cold also,,, I'll be going out here in a few to try all your suggestions. Clutch was NOT engaged. The noise is only audible, when I've slowed enough to hear it,, and when at a stop, breaks on, in gear, If I slip in out of gear, it's not as bad. Video was done, at idle, in gear, with E brake on.

Is this with the AC on? That style AC compressor goes out all the time. I hear a consistent knock in the background which is the sound when these compressors go out, but you'd only hear that with the AC on and thus compressor clutch engaged.

If it was the idler pulley bearing, you'd hear a scream or whine.

Ok Just back in side,,, Good news,, I found a bowl shaped bracket bolted to the front of the block that the compressor bolts into. It has a triangle bolt pattern,,, bottom bolt, up 3 in,, the to right 3 in. Look at pics,, and see that only 1 bolt is holding this bracket on,, the bottom one. Now the hole bracket has pivoted to the right on it's bottom bolt axis, and the compressor has came into contact of the thermostat housing,,, and is vibrating from there.

[SIZE=3

First pic, shows the top right bolt missing, and the mis-alignment of the bracket to the cylinder head
[ATTACH]36596.vB[/ATTACH]

This shows the top left bolt hole of the bracket Empty,
003.jpg

Clearance between H2O pipe and compressor After I pried it back to where it should be.
002.jpg

slight black spot where Compressor rubbed on H2O pipe
001.jpg]

I need to know the pitch/thread/size of the bolts that go into these locations!!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4
Im just guessing 3/8 course thread, but might be metric too?
Anyway good catch on finding the problem, just think if all the bolts had come out!!

Keep info coming,,,, That top bolt goes into the cylinder head, So what ever is standard there,, Needing size So I can get one from box store. Don't want to ram one in there till I know it's right.
Then I can buy a few different lenths, to fit the purpose.

well I found a bolt in my mess,,, and it was only threading in about 4 threads. but seem to be right. It had M 9.8 on the head took it with me to Menards,, and matched it up with a 10 X1.5X75MM bolt, and a 10 lock washer, and I'm in Bizness. The smaller bolt behind Compressor, will have to wait, till I can get in a Heated garage, to dig in to it. I was able to get hands down there to tighten the old one and the new one. Limited time, and need for it to drive, has got me fixed up in no time, and good to go for the short time I drive it,,

Back