• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine flush??

MGILBERT18

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if I should use the Amzoil engine flush when I make the switch to synthetic from the dino oil, and why or why not. My truck was bought used with 58,000 miles and now has about 68,000 on it. I changed the oil last at about 65,000 used Rotella at the last change. Any input is appreciated.

you don't need to use engine flush. Just switch the oils, you can mix them together.

Well mmangels I would clarify that. Mike if the truck has any evidence of the black burnt stuff on the top of the dip stick or under the oil filler cap yes you should fluch it. Why because the engine flush will disolve that sludge off the insides of the engine and suspend it in the oil which will get drained.

The Amsoil engine flush is pretty simple. Go buy the cheapest oil filter you can find. Put it on the engine and don't prefill it with oil or the engine flush just install it dry. Use 1 can engine flush (16 oz)for every 5 qts of oil capacity. Run the engine for 15-20 minutes and then do your oil change as normal throwing out the new cheap oil filter you just bought for the flush. That will give you a clean start with the synthetic so your first oil change can work properly and not be contaminated with the dark crap left by the dino oil. Engine flush is very cheap its 6.35 per bottle retail less if your wholesale. Cheap insurance I think.

Great info. I do not see any signs of the black burnt stuff.

Thanks for the feed back!!

Ok I thought you were doing on of the jiffy lube type of "engine flushes" that makes sense. But still you can mix dino and synthetic without really needing to do an engine flush. If the oil is nasty, which in diesels it tends to be, then maybe its not that bad of an idea.

If you want to go immediately to a 25k miles drain interval Amsoil recommends using the Flush. It depends, as stated above, on the cleanliness of your engine. If you are planning to run at normal factory change intervals, don't bother. If you are going to use the extended drain capability of the Amsoil Oil/Filter combo, it will give you the capability to go 25k miles right out of the gate.

Just using Amsoil will "scrub" the internals of your engine due to the huge additive package in the oil, just at a slower rate than if you used the flush. Because of this, without flushing, I would not recommend anything past 10k miles on an initial change to Amsoil because your filter will load up with the junk removed.

Remember, if you are using any other oil filter besides an Amsoil Oil Filter, you should not exceed the DIC recommended change frequency without oil analysis.

Get ahold of me if you want to pay less than retail.

Hope this helps

Ashton

i used the flush the first 2 times after i switched to amsoil just to make sure the engine was clean. A guy i work with claimed that it cleaned the motor on his truck out. He checked under the valve covers before and after the flush was put it.

Back