• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine check light ?

tammlyn

Reaction score
last night i started my truck let it warm up when i put truck in reverse and started backing out of driveway engine check light come on i had no more driving power its like the tranny was in neutral my display briefly said drive range inhibited i shut off truck resarted check light stays on but i can drive no problems i guess its time to buy a code reader maybe a programmer i'm not really interested in big power but some for towing would be nice i would like to buy one that i could have a display panel to monitor egt,boost,engine temp any sugg. would be appreciated do they all read and clear codes thanks mike

Possibly the NSBU switch? I don't think they were a big problem on the newer trucks though. Maybe stop by a AutoZone and they will check/clear for free.

For a programmer, if your absolutely stuck with getting the monitor, it would have to be Edge or Banks as most other just program your truck.

did not have the time to check codes when i started truck this morning the check light was out it had cleared itself,hey 8100 i thought it was a better idea to buy a programmer with a display guage or do you guys prefer to and your own guages thanks

did not have the time to check codes when i started truck this morning the check light was out it had cleared itself,hey 8100 i thought it was a better idea to buy a programmer with a display guage or do you guys prefer to and your own guages thanks

It's all about preference. I run EFILive with Mechanical Gauges over my Mirror. You can actually get something like a Predator tuner and set it to 85HP or so and be ok without gauges. Of course, drive sensible.

Gauges are only really necessary if you're towing a lot of weight. with a healthy tune. You dont *need* gauges to run a programmer. They just allow you to see whats going on inside your motor. You'd be perfectly fine with the predator.

Your problem sounds like an NSBU switch that was frozen or got stuck. Its fairly common to freeze.

yes i have intentions on purchasing a fifth wheel as of now i am pulling aprox,7000lbs with my tt but i will be puling around 12000lbs with my fifth wheel so i am interested in a programmer but i defenately want guages and a reader and clear codes we do not have any place that will read your truck for free the cheapest is 100.00 everytime you have a problem,if there is two codes they charge you 200 so any suggestions would be appreciated,when you say its common for the switch to freeze ,do i have to woory and change it,and both times its done this the outside temp was below 30c

also forgot to mention after my check light cleared itself ,i went throught my display to see if any of the settings had change and my hr meter had reset itselt back to zero so i went from aprox.2200hrs to o hrs wow you can't use the hr meter as a sales pitch it means absolotely nothing be carefull when you buy a used truck thanks mike

also forgot to mention after my check light cleared itself ,i went throught my display to see if any of the settings had change and my hr meter had reset itselt back to zero so i went from aprox.2200hrs to o hrs
That's a first! That might be a TechII only issue.

hr meter

can you explain by a tect 2 problem i guess no one has seen this, is it possible to restore the hr meter is it possible that the info is still stored in the ecm thanks

Tech II is the Gm Scan Tool. One of the few tools that can completly control our vehicles.

100$ is outrageous to clear a code, it only takes but a couple of seconds.

NSBU switches are internal on the 6spds and I havent heard of many issues with them but everything is possible.

For $100-$150 you can buy a nice Actron code reader that will take care of any read and reset issues. Unless you are getting a program that will function the same as well as do some tuning. As to the hour meter, I don't have any Idea. Never (I mean NEVER) heard of that happening in the 5+ years I've had Dmax trucks.

Possibly the NSBU switch? I don't think they were a big problem on the newer trucks though. Maybe stop by a AutoZone and they will check/clear for free.

For a programmer, if your absolutely stuck with getting the monitor, it would have to be Edge or Banks as most other just program your truck.

More than likely that is what it is. Been having issues with mine lately but once the outside temp warms up it will go away. Sometimes if you unplug the wiring harness and plug it back in the problem is solved.

Back